Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am an avid kayak fisherman. I recently purchased the Hobie Quest. In the past I have owned a Tarpon 120 an Ocean Kayay Prowler, and a Eddyline Sandpiper. I do have to say that the Quest out performs them all. When I purchased the Prowler I was told that I would be impressed w/ the speed of the boat and at the time I was until the Quest. I don't think a Prowler could keep up w/ me. When I bought the Tarpon I was told that it would be very maneuverable and turn easily. It did, but lacked in speed. I was looking for a Kayak that was maneuverable, fast, and stable. The quest has met and exceeded my expectations in every way. The quest w/ the built in rod holders, the side storage(for pliers, Boca grip,etc...), the accessible font hatch while on the water, center hatch in the cockpit, and the large rear tank well definitely accommodates for fishing. This is the best fishing kayak I have had the pleasure to paddle. The price of the Quest considering ,it comes w/ a paddle, a seat, and you don't have to spend extra for rod holders and additional hatches makes it a great value. I also added a rudder to my Quest, and it increased the speed of the boat, and it turns on a dime. For anyone considering buying a fishing kayak or looking to replace one, don't overlook the quest. Try it and you'll buy one like I did. :D

Tom P.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When summer comes if I'm not sailing, I'm fishing (or thinking about fishing and sailing 8) )

My dad and brother and I are thinking of something besides float tubes for fishing and I was suggesting Kayaks. We have been accessing all the information we can to make a decision and this type of thing is helpful- especially since you have offered a perspective from having owned other k's. Thanks! :)

Remember- keep your tip up!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tpro... Thanks for your review of the Quest. I have an Outback and like it a lot. Having the hands free to fish with while holding position or maneuvering is a genuine plus. However, like all kayaks it does have its shortcomings. For example, potholing the local kelp beds with a Mirage Drive just doesn't work because the drive hangs up in the kelp, even when the fins are up. Anybody that's paddled an Outback knows that it's not ideal for that mode of operation. My solution is to pick up a paddle kayak for that kind of fishing. I've looked at MK Extremes, OK Prowlers and some of Cobra's products. The Quest looks like a well thought out kayak and as you said, it comes complete from the dealer. I'm a believer in the benefits of a rudder for several reasons and will get one on the Quest if I buy that one. I noticed you claimed increased speed due to the rudder. How so? Because of improved tracking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wider nothing better than fishing out of a kayak. It's kind of like sailing. Just the sounds of mother nature. And talk about stealth. Here in the Tampa Bay area w/ fish a lot of shallow water. The fish are very spooky. In a akyak though they don't even here us coming. I've caught fish 10' or less from the boat.

Noalias as I mentioned above, we fish very shallow water here w/ a lot of oyster bars. In the back country flats we average a depth of 3' or less so the mirage drive doesn't always work here either. But to answer your question, yes the tracking is improved therefore a very noticeable improvement in speed. I have friends that paddle the MK Extremes. Nice boat except I can literally paddle circles around them. You wouldn't think that would be important, but try to get back to your launch a few miles away in a stiff headwind and you'll be happy to have a fast boat under you.
Again fellas try the quest you'll like it.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Noalias mentioned potholing the kelp beds. Some of our fishing fields are in shallow weed infested lakes. Would the mirage drive get bogged down in the type of weeds we get up here in our lakes and ponds? These weeds bog down outboard motors so I imagine the MD would also.

tpro- Thanks for the encouragement! It is my experience that coming up on Bass from lakeside and fishing the "backside" of weedbeds yield bigger and more catch than fishing the same weedbeds from shoreside. Thus the float tubes. I think Kayaks are the answer though. Will check out the Quest for sure. THANKS 8) Good fishing to you! (PS. I picked up a 22 inch Rainbow on a Royal Wulff on my lunch hour yesterday! Don't tell the boss... Yee Haa! :D )

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

widerisbetter wrote:
Noalias mentioned potholing the kelp beds. Some of our fishing fields are in shallow weed infested lakes. Would the mirage drive get bogged down in the type of weeds we get up here in our lakes and ponds? These weeds bog down outboard motors so I imagine the MD would also.
Depending on the time of year, tide, and other conditions, some of the area waters here get pretty infested with weeds. I was out the other day and wanted some photos, but the objects to photograph were on the bank, and to get to the bank required going through a thick section of weeds. I remove the pedal unit (takes 10 seconds), flip up the rudder, and paddle. Unlike pedal boats that have fixed propellers, you can take the Outback though any weeds that you can take a regular kayak. The Outback in not the easiest paddling boat, but yes, I regularly go through shallow weeded areas, but with the pedals removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto--I did a Blue Moon Cruise on the Wakulla River not too long ago and the weeds were very dense along the banks. Just pull the MD, stick the flippers up under the bow bungees, and let the current take you where it will. About all you need for a drift trip anyway is a rudder, plus a few paddle strokes here and there.