Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Would not having the Daggerboard in at all affect the turning ability of the rudder in Heavy air?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm pretty sure having the daggerboard out would make it very difficult to make any headway to windward. After a tack, the boat would slide sideways quite a bit before making any reasonable forward motion and still, there would constantly be side slip. The boat, lacking a pivot point, would have a very difficult time turning into the wind, thus making tacking almost impossible. And, there would be a huge increase in the side load placed on the rudder, making pin breakage an even greater concern.

That said pulling, out the daggerboard is often used by dinghy sailers off the wind (provided the hole is filled to reduce drag). I see no reason why it won't be affective with the AI. I just see it as too inconvenient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I just see it as too inconvenient.

Not if you have a daggerboard holder! :)

I don't usually put down the daggerboard until I'm sailing in more than 8mph wind, as the boat is faster without it (we race each other often).

I also remove it when sailing downwind (again, faster without it), unless we're in larger waves. I do think, with the daggerboard down, it adds stability in bigger seas.

Recently, I tried to turn into the wind to pedal out of a harbor area after launching from a boat launch in strong crosswinds. I could not turn! (I had not put down my daggerboard yet) After I put my daggerboard down, I had no further problems.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks!! That must be why I had so much trouble. I need to use that daggerboard more. Come on Spring where are you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, even when just pedaling, having the daggerboard in cuts the turn radius in half.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently made the daggerboard cord longer and put a knot in the cord. The knot keeps the cord from slipping through the padeye. I then am able to get enough slack to let it board pivot into the up position and lift out when necessary. To lock into the down position, I just pull the loop and hook it off. The directions were not clear from Hobie and I was missing the cord when my AI was deliveried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I now use a small SS carabiner on my daggerboard bungee. After pushing the daggerboard bungee through the padeye loop I clip the carabiner back on the bungee and it is "captured" (cannot leave!).

I use to unhook the seat strap on that side, put it through the bungee and re-clip it to "capture" the daggerboard, but after getting a new seat, the new seat clips can crack if not closed completely when used. Sometimes they don't close completely by them selves. :(

I was thinking on trying an extra bungee, line or strap from the daggerboard handle to the padeye forward and above the daggerboard to hold a desired angle. My daggerboard won't stay at an angle (other than vertical or strait back) without constant attention.

Kayaking Bob