Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inflatable roof rack
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all
Well I might end up come back home in a few days from now with a brand new AI 8) (the deal is that I will get it only if I like the ride, guess what...)
So, for coming back and also for the future transportations to a beach (which will remain occasionnal as I intend to primarily launch walking from home with a cart), I found the idea on the Handirack pretty neat.
http://www.handirackuk.com/
Any thoughts ?
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Inflatable roof rack
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

arno wrote:
Hi all
Well I might end up come back home in a few days from now with a brand new AI 8) (the deal is that I will get it only if I like the ride, guess what...)
So, for coming back and also for the future transportations to a beach (which will remain occasionnal as I intend to primarily launch walking from home with a cart), I found the idea on the Handirack pretty neat.
http://www.handirackuk.com/
Any thoughts ?
Thanks in advance

Looks like a great Aussie invention :wink:
There are a number of issues you need to consider however.
I think most of them you will be able to overcome, however the one I cannot resolve for you is how are you going to lift it on and off the roof??
Unless you have some form of mechanical help, you will need another person to assist.
I use this device http://www.rackandroll.net.au/
but there is no way you can use this with an inflatable roof rack.
I also think you might find it impossible to carry it upside down without damaging your roofs paintwork as there does not appear to be much clearance. It's easier to carry the hull right way up which is how I do it on my Thule RR with my "Pirate" pillows which are designed to avoid any hull deformation caused by the compression which occurs when you strap it down.
I use 2 sets (4 straps) of 4 metre Hobie Roof Rack straps to secure the hull, akas and mast.

There are other issues - like whether your car roof can handle that much weight without deforming - is the roof wide enough to accommodate the hull, akas ad mast?

If you can overcome these issues, it should/could be a great solution for occasional use 8) :)

Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As for max load and width on my car roof (VW Touran), it's ok.
For the rest, well, you do have a point ;)
Food for thought...
Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

arno,

Have you tried looking at the 'hullavator'??? It looks like the solution to your problems, you would have to order it direct from the states because at least in the UK its been banned by the UK Health and safety 'directorate' our very own version of the KGB (they also banned the use of stepladders for changing light bulbs in our local school!!!!)

Anyway there was a lot of hullavator talk about a year ago on this forum and the concept seemed brilliant. I am almost tempted to buy one and send a photo to H and S of me on a stepladder mounting my hullavator onto the roofrack, but as I dont own a hullavator and have no boat in UK it all seems a bit pointless :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's certainly dangerous to your bank balance Philip :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy Arno!

As I remember, the AI weighs 120 lbs. When you add tools and emergency stuff stored in the hull, you've got even more weight to hoist up. Too much.

Also the hulls and akas aren't supported properly, which may cause deformation if the boat is there for extended time.

Also, the AI's weight isn't spread out evenly over your roof. I fear your roof will pancake down. Those inflatable racks are probably fine with lower weights, but think what will happen when your VW catapults up and down through a dip in the road. The AI's effective weight will double or triple! After that, the only way you'll be able to pick up gals while driving that car is with the AI still strapped on top hiding the roof.... Be sure to find short gals who won't have to duck down!

I think your best bet for now is to hand wheel it down to the beach, and research a trailer or pipe style rack (store you AI on this UPSIDE down with amas detached) appropriate for your car, storage space and situation.

Keep us posted on how you like the AI, and share a photo of you grinning at sea!

Happy Trails!

Chris

P.S. The Thule Hullavator seems to be getting mixed reviews: http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showRev ... ?prod=1565

you make...
--The Beatles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oooooooooops, sorry dear fellows but I slipped by your replies un-noticed.
Thanks for sharing your views and yes, as soon as I have the boat, you will have some pics.
Gals picky about car roofs aren't worth picking up, are they ? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've used the handirack once. Emphasise the word 'once'. Sadly, the webbing straps wick water straight into the car. If it's raining hard, water will start dripping inside and believe me, it's messy.

http://www.macleanoutdoors.com.au
Hobie Factory Fishing Team
http://www.hobiefishing.com.au/fishing_teams/factory-team.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought it rained only once every 10 yearz down under.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting ! Thanks 5thofNovember

I personally live in a place where it can rain heavily but not that often and anyway we can see it coming from afar. So that shoudn't be a problem for me.
So how did the handirack take all the AI weight ? I suppose you avoided the upside down position for the reasons already mentioned by JacksonHoleWyoming ? Did you feel everything was safely secured ?
I'm really interested in this system ; I intend to sometimes go down the coast some 50 kilometers in a straight line to my father's or friend's places, and they could easily give me a lift back home with that. Having it with me, I can get organised till the last minute.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
Just thought I would let you know, I have transported my AI using the Handirack, inflatable roof bars. I put a large boat fender on the rear hatch/boot lifted the front onto the fender and then pushed the Adventure up onto the inflatable roof bars, right way up, and tied it down.Put mast along side and everything else including amas inside the car. No room for anyone else. It is possible but I am saving for a Thule system as I would not fancy long trips.