Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In the cat cabin or otherwise. I have tracked down a spare car radio. And got a waterproof box for my Xm radio. But still tossed up on the speakers and placement.

Any ideas? i have heard of putting them in the cabin doors but does that interfear with the cabin use much?

Post subject: 21SC Stereo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are photos of stereo, speakers and cutting board former owner added to 21SC:

http://www.violaphoto.com/hobie21-stereo.htm

West Marine speakers take up very little space. Perhaps he could have mounted one each on either side of console :?
Though such would have breeched both hatches.
No worries, sound is excellent :D

I think he was brilliant in using stereo mounting bolts to also secure a cutting-board on top of the console 8)

Hope this helps.
franklin j VIOLA

www.violaphoto.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was wondering about the cutting board. Is that for dinner or for strength?

I was thinking of going thru the cabins thru the anchor storage compartment in the front. figured small holes and mby silicon them closed again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not sure how big of a set up you're looking to do, but if you were to install some marine speakers in your doors you could run them off of one of these and an MP3 player.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... mail030509

Buy some rechargeable AA's , a Gladware disposable food container to keep it dry, and you're there.

As far as speakers, if you were to use a T amp, look for some that have a sensitvity of 91db or hopefully greater. Here's a pair http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_pro ... appa+6902M

I've heard one of the T amps made by a different company, and they're actually pretty damn good.

Just a thought.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have salvaged a Clarion car radio with 45W X 4. I hav ealso got An XM Radio from the recent Circuit City closing. I need to work on water proof enclosures for both.

Battery would seem to need to be very large for a 6-8 hour play time. But i will have to do run tests to find out accual power consumption.

Speakers i'm looking at 2 6.5" West marine waterproofs. Will plan on mounting them one in each door.

The clarion radio was a great find if i can adapt it to boat use. I am a bit worried about heat dispersion after i seal it in a case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd be more worried about the gas generator you're going to need to power it :)

Seriously, why do you need 45w X 4 speakers? To cancel out Road noise? Engine noise? Running full tilt, that player is going to draw 15 amps, and I have a feeling that a 50 pound battery isn't going to last more than a couple of hours. Yeah, I know, you're not going to play it THAT loud...

Still, you'd be better off with a flea powered amp and highly efficient speakers. As an example speakers that have a 96 db sensitivity rating draw only half the power of a speaker that's rated at 93db. For every 3db change the power requirements doulble or half, depending upon which way you're going.

Here's a better example. a speaker rated at 89 db (and there's a ton of them out there) will need 4 times more power to put out the same sound as one rated at 95 db. So if you had a 10 watt amp with the 95 db rig you'd need a 40 watt amp to run the 89 db speakers at the same sound level.

More efficent equals less power, less battery and less weight.

That said...It doesn't matter how good your speakers are, they still SUCK half the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, got the radio in its water proof housing, got my two speakers from west marine. Wired it up to a battery charger and at fairly loud volume it was still reading under two amps draw. Not very scientific, need to get an OhM meter on it. But better than it topping out the chargers 10amp max!

Post subject: Got power draw ratings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Amps at Idle(static draw) = .17
Radio On, 0 volume = .71
Radio On, Loud volume = .95-1.0
CD Playing, No Volume = .95
CD Playing Loud volume = 1.4 amps

My Draw is supprisingly low! I will get pictures when i get my new hinges on and installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Better get a patent on it....I think you may be on to something.

I've never known Ohms law to be wrong before, so maybe it's my math.

Let's see Power=Volts X Current So If we divide 45 watts per channel by 12 volts we get 3.75 amps per speaker at full volume, or for 4 speakers it'd be 3.75 amps X 4 = 15 amps.

Is your player 45 watts per channel or is its total output 45 watts and about 11 watts per channel?? Even at 11 watts you're drawing less current than the calculated .9A per channel (3.6 for 4 channels). If it's 4.5 watts per channel, I'd buy that @.375A per Channel or 1.5 total.

I don't get it. That Ohm's fellow used to be a pretty sharp dude, but he's letting me down here.........Then again it could be me making the error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

these were amp ratings pulling thru a multi meter. Only running two speakers and i'm guessing the 45watts is a very generous peak wattage not RMS. I didin't turn it up to full volume to get a reading in fear of blowing the speakers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The radio project hit a bit of a snag. I was going to mount the radio on top of the cooler chest. i have a remote now so we would not have to open the water tight box. BUT the smoked lid to the box doesn't let me see the radio numbers in full sun so there is no point in keeping it there. The speaker placement does look nice though. I'll have pictures in another week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's an idea I'm going to use this season. I got an "Otterbox" or EGO Ice" for my Ipod Video. It's completely self contained waterproof clear plastic and is equiped with speakers. It uses AA batteries to power the speakers. I used it on vacation this past fall and the sound was actually pretty good.

I'll put it in a tramp bag and cruise with a playlist I've yet to put together

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know if you get a lot of "rattling" when marine speakers are installed in the plexiglass cabin doors? Many car trunks suffer from this rattling and it's annoying... just wan't to know if I'll be having to deal with getting around this problem...
-Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a set of waterproof speakers that are rechargable and 300 Watts. If you want to provide a small battery you can get 600 Watts. Should be no problem to power these......Small, compact and powerful.

http://www.qualitycaraudio.com/store/viewitem.asp?sku=PLBKA60CR