Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’d like to start off by saying thank you!! I’ve been reading this forum for the last year and found a ton of information.

I finally purchased an AI this past Oct. thinking I’d have at least a month or 2 of sailing before the weather turned. I even took the following week off of work and headed to Assateague Island, Md to play and learn the boat… Unfortunately a Noreaster hit around that time and wasn’t able to try it out. It’s sad but the boat hasn’t even seen the water yet.

The good news is Spring is coming…at least here on the east coast! So back to my questions. I’m looking for people who would like to coordinate a camping/fishing and of course sailing trip. I don’t know how many AI owners there are in the DC metro area but I’d like to find some. If not the camping part, just a day of sailing would be cool.

A few of the trips I was considering are: Harve De Grace – mid/late april (may have a scheduling conflict on this one), definitely Assateague Island backcountry either Spring or Fall, Westmorland State park, Annapolis or anything near Ocean City MD, Chincoteague. Seriously anything within a few hours drive I’d consider.

Somehow I want to recreate the Everglades trip that I keep reading about on the forum and are so envious of!! It’s inevitable someday I’ll need to make the trek down south and hopefully join some of you.

Just a little more background, I’m new to sailing / AI but not new to kayaking. I’ve been on a few kayaking trips around the states including a week long trip in Baja. Fishing is usually a priority but that may change now that I have the sail I can fiddle with. :D

Hope to hear from a few of the AI owners in the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy, & welcome aboard!

As you've noticed from some of the threads, there are a few AI folks here in the Metro DC area. Glenn_SouthRiver & I get out as often as we can. Weather is easing up now (except last week), so we'll be getting out again soon. I live in the Manassas area, while Glenn lives South of Annapolis. We generally sail out of either the South River at Edgewater, MD, or Spa Creek in Annapolis. We're always looking for AI folks to join us. If we didn't already have other plans this weekend (car needs brakes), we'd probably be out tomorrow. Water's only 38 degrees, but that's what drysuits are for. Check out the link below for photos of the 1st Annual New Years Day AI Polar Bear Sail.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... highlight=

We're not into the fishing, and we haven't done any expedition type trips yet. Schedule & conditions permitting however, I am trying to find time to do a trip across Lake Erie. Not exactly local, but should be a fun trip.

Anyway, we'll have to coordinate and get out on the water sometime soon. Wouldn't want to waste any good sailing weather, now would we?

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings from the beautiful Northern Neck - about 2 1/2 hours south of you, located on the Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers as well as the Chesapeake Bay! I saw your post which was almost a year old but wanted to let you know that there are a few AIs down here and also to let you know of an upcoming event that will be held June 5, 2010. It is sponsored by the Kilmarnock-Irvington-White Stone Rotary Club and is a brand new day long event that is "all about kayaks". The day will start with kayak fishing, followed by a poker run late morning and finishing with a regatta featuring Hobie AIs in the afternoon. We're so excited about this new event - the first of its kind in the area. We plan to have vendors and demonstrations as well.