Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I go paddling in just kayak mode I like taking the mirage drive with me, but I can't figure out how to get it into the front hold. So I end up having to strap it into the back storage area. Anyone else had luck getting it inside the kayak somehow? How did you do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy stores his on the front of the boat Jeremy:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=55915&highlight=#55915

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why would you paddle, JG? Isn't paddling a Mirage Drive-equipped boat kind of like taking your bike out for a walk? ;) If you just want the exercise, put in the drive and paddle-pedal. Just leave it in place if you're not pedaling. That's like taking your bike for a walk and dragging the brake a bit - better exercise! ;)

Chris, thanks for the link back to the day I let my MD get flung into the creek. That was just starting to fade from memory... :x ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray wrote:
Why would you paddle, JG? Isn't paddling a Mirage Drive-equipped boat kind of like taking your bike out for a walk? ;) If you just want the exercise, put in the drive and paddle-pedal. Just leave it in place if you're not pedaling. That's like taking your bike for a walk and dragging the brake a bit - better exercise! ;)

Chris, thanks for the link back to the day I let my MD get flung into the creek. That was just starting to fade from memory... :x ;)

I'm definately with you on this one Tom. Why would anyone even think about removing this most brilliant piece of equipment from its keepers and in doing so reduce the kayak's capabilities and so risk the possible loss of it to the mire of some shadowy and bottomless creek-bed...Pirate :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom wrote:
Chris, thanks for the link back to the day I let my MD get flung into the creek. That was just starting to fade from memory...

Oops, sorry Tom - I didn't mean to revive painful memories :(

On the subject of paddling the AI, I find it has two main drawbacks:
- It doesn't track all that well with the rudder retracted and the semi-reclined position of the seat, which is ideal for pedalling, is not the best for paddling.
I have found that it tracks much better with the amas fitted and that it is better to sit up just in front of the rear crossbar and lean slightly forward when paddling.
The boat really motors along when paddled this way, but I imagine it would get a bit hard on the lower back with prolonged paddling. I haven't tried it - if I want to go on a long trip in kayak mode, I either pedal the AI or use a paddle kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom and Pirate,
I guess it's a matter of personal preference but I enjoy paddling the Adventure with the drive out and have done so regularly for the last year.
It's part of what makes the AI the most versatile kayak around. 8)
I have had paddle kayaks and surf skis since I was a teenager and there are times when I just want the simplicity of only paddling. I also like the extra space in the footwell with the drive removed and the fact that it glides better.
Twice a week I commute to work in the afternoon for a nightshift and return the next morning. More often than not I am battling a NE headwind in the afternoon and pedaling is without question the only way to go.
However most times the water is glassy smooth in the morning and is perfect for paddling. I would have paddled more times coming home than pedaled.
Often I have started out paddling in calm conditions and have experienced a sudden change of weather half way across. That's when the drive goes back in which is why I like to store it on the front deck where it can be easily reached.
It is always tethered when removed from the drivewell though! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess it comes down to your routes. Traditional kayakers will tend to steer towards paddling as a preference, whilst newbies like myself will take the modern technology path. I personally love the idea of both but am having trouble steering the kayak in the paddling mode. I have tried with the rudder up and down but the hull is not easily manipulated through the water by paddle alone. Is it possible that the mirage drive is hampering my steering?...Pirate :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
I guess it comes down to your routes. Traditional kayakers will tend to steer towards paddling as a preference, whilst newbies like myself will take the modern technology path. I personally love the idea of both but am having trouble steering the kayak in the paddling mode. I have tried with the rudder up and down but the hull is not easily manipulated through the water by paddle alone. Is it possible that the mirage drive is hampering my steering?...Pirate :?

If you are using the bungee to retract the pedal on the MD while paddling, it may be interfering Pirate. If you are going to paddle with the drive in, you probably want the fins pointing straight down (pedals together). Have you tried it with the drive out? I have been impressed by how well it glides with the drive out, the rudder up and the amas attached.

It's not just a matter of speed. As Stringy alludes, there is something very tranquil about paddling in the early morning when the water is still. Paddlers are already at their destination too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
there is something very tranquil about paddling in the early morning when the water is still. Paddlers are already at their destination too :)

Well said Chris! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hee hee! Paddle on! :)

Luddites. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray wrote:
Hee hee! Paddle on! :)

Luddites. ;)

Yeah, I ride horses too. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy!

I use the Mirage drive pretty much exclusively, but it could be argued paddling gives an upper body workout you'd miss otherwise.

Unless you have a setup where you hoist the AI up and down from a roof rack between jaunts...

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like paddling in some areas without the drive because of shallow coral heads. The water is 5 to 10 ft deep, but the coral builds up so much that it is only a foot or less below the water in spots.

It would be nice on future models if hobie made the openings big enough to squeeze the drive into.

I thought kayaking bob always took a spare along, how does he store the spare?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep a spare drive in the back cargo area so that the turbo fins are protected lying flat against the deck with one pedal in the cargo area and the other sticking up.

Below is a picture blown up (barely) showing the spare drive, followed by the amusing full picture of my friend Scott "resting" while sailing after lunch. :)

Kayaking Bob