Should this change be approved?
Yes 95%  95%  [ 20 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

From the May/June HCA News:

Quote:
A proposal has been made for an optional rigging change to the H-20. The change involves modifying the H-20 traveller control system to allow a pivoting cleat mechanism and fairlead that controls the traveller line to be mounted along the forward edge of the rear crossbar on a bracket rather than on the traveller.

The new system is very similar to that in use on the H-16, Tiger, Getaway, Fox, H-18 and other brands of catamarans. The change would create a consistent cleat location and cleating action on all points of sail, and improve traveller control, particularly downwind or in high-wind conditions. In addition, the new system would make recovering from a dropped traveller line much easier. With the current mechanism, if the line unexpectedly pulls free of the cleat, the traveller—and much of the line —is yanked to the leeward side of the boat, making recovery a chore. With the cleat in the center of the boat, the sheet is within reach without climbing to the leeward side, or reeling in handfuls of line.

The cost of the improvement is minimal as all of the existing traveller parts would be reused, Only a small mounting bracket (available through Hobie, Murrays or most boat supply stores) and a handful of rivets ($20 to $30 total cost) would be required to make the change. The proposal suggests the following language be added to the class rules:

7.12 A cleat and fairlead for controlling
the traveller line may be mounted
on the traveller or rear crossbar in
any manner so long as the
mounting bracket does not block or
otherwise interfere with the
traveller’s movement, or allow the
traveller to be sheeted to windward
of the boat’s centerline.

Sailor comment on this proposal is being solicited at this time. Sailor comments will be provided to the IHCA Rules Committee which will then make their recommendation to the IHCA Council, most likely at the IHCA meeting in South Africa this fall.

Make your voice heard in the class association!

Existing System—Hobie 20:

Proposed System (Shown on a Hobie Tiger— H-20 would require a bracket to support the swivel cleat):

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fully support the proposed change to the Hobie 20 traveller set up. In addition to the resons stated there is another important reason. That is---
in strong winds when you must react fast, with both the main sheet and traveller line going to the same place you have to look hard for a second to make sure you grab the correct line. You can react much faster if the two lines go to different locations on the boat.

I hope this message constitutes my vote on the issue.

Mike Wilson
Hobie 20 #886

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have to wonder why it wasn't originally designed this way - since the H16 seems to work well. The only thing I like about the current design is that I seldom hit the traveler car with my knee, hand or butt - because it's always across the boat from me. But I will admit that having separation between the traveler and mainsheet would be more beneficial.
I have two different colored lines (red for main sheet and a 6' white line for the traveler) that I tie together for a little more line length on the mainsheet, which also helps to distinguish the difference between the two lines. Personally I think there are bigger issues that need to be addressed on this boat - like the jib traveler scenario.

Tim Olson
H20 872

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When it gets realy windy my crew has the mainsheet and I have the traveler that way there is no lag while searching for the correct line. But I think it should be an optional thing to have the cleat on the beam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think as long as its optional then I support the change. Currently, its out of the way for me going downwind and I like it that way, but I can see the other point of view

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

This proposal is before the IHCA Rules Committee for comment.

Please go to http://www.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=1876&MenuID=Class_Rules/10773/0 to make your voice known in the class association.

Post subject: Rule Change?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What happened to this proposal?

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It was approved.