Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Took the doggie sailing
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I finally got my first chance to take advantage of the extended afternoons since the time change, and went out for a sail yesterday.

My wife decided to bring her dog, Misty (who really thinks she is my dog). A few days earlier, I had taken Misty for a very brief paddle in a sit-on-top on our pond, and the AI ride yesterday was only her second experience in a boat. She LOVED it. Lots of great smells in the swamp for a dog, lots of critters out there that needed getting, and best of all, I did not tell her to stay home and she got to keep me in sight at all times. I was afraid she might wind up in the water, but she did fine. I guess it's harder for the mainsheet to flip a 65 pound dog into the creek than a Mirage Drive. ;)

Pics:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Those are great!

You're lucky Misty stayed in the boat! I've taken my 50 lb lab mix, and she can't figure out if she wants to ride in the back or go for a swim. Luckily, hauling her dripping wet back into the AI isn't too difficult, as the boat's so stable, so we compromise. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi StLouis,

I was dreading the armload of wet dog if she went in the drink, but Misty really doesn't like the water. She's a good swimmer, but when yesterday's ride was over, she ran the length of the Adventure Island rather than get her feet wet jumping out early.

BTW, in the "small world" category, don't know if you knew it, but my wife is also your web designer, Sonja.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahrrrrrr. As Maxwell Smart would say; 'The old dogie on the Adventure Island trick.'...Good one Tom...Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice dog. I am planning on bringing mine along sailing when it gets a bit warmer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I take my Border Collie/Retriever mix with me on my AI at Lake Casitas in Ventura, CA.

Here is a short video of the day. She really enjoys it!

http://vimeo.com/3678270

Edit: Looks like Vimeo messed up the sound but you still get the idea. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great pictures! (And also great video of Roxy, that dog is literally smiling ear to ear!)

My dachsund goes out with me occasionally and she insists on sitting only on the rear twist and stow hatch, instead of in the rear well where it's a little safer for her. I guess she likes to tempt fate. So far she hasn't gone overboard........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mr Miagi and others---

Does anybody know where I can find the gorgeous video some guy put out of himself sailing in the Mediterranean? It had "Sailing Takes Me Away" for most of the background music.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to take my Yellow Lab 16 month old who will definitely jump out of my AI out sailing, but i am afraid once she jumps in she won't be able to get back on the boat. I am thinking about the new trampolines but still can't figure out how she will get back in without me helping her in. Anyone have an idea of a contraption to allow a larger dog to climb aboard, either on the new tramps or into the back of the boat? Or maybe i don't need to worry and the dog will figure it out?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A dog can really help haul itself aboard. You grab them behind the neck, so that with the front paws aboard they have your hand to push against and help bring up the rear paws. It's kind of messy and a bit like hauling aboard a sack of potatoes. But helpful potatoes, if you do it right. ;)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MrMiagi wrote:
I take my Border Collie/Retriever mix with me on my AI at Lake Casitas in Ventura, CA

Great video, and even better music, made me feel right at home. Roxy looked very contented.

Upyaboya

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Ray wrote:
A dog can really help haul itself aboard. You grab them behind the neck, so that with the front paws aboard they have your hand to push against and help bring up the rear paws. It's kind of messy and a bit like hauling aboard a sack of potatoes. But helpful potatoes, if you do it right. ;)

Not sure what you mean when you say 'they have your hand to push against'. can you expand? I am trying to come up with some kind of ladder or device or something that i could lower into the water that she could use to easily get back on. Maybe i don't need it once i get the new trampolines.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2AIforwife wrote:
Tom Ray wrote:

Not sure what you mean when you say 'they have your hand to push against'. can you expand? I am trying to come up with some kind of ladder or device or something that i could lower into the water that she could use to easily get back on. Maybe i don't need it once i get the new trampolines.

If you put your hand behind the dog's head/neck, most dogs will then kind of crane the neck up and back against your hand, which pulls their body up higher. It's a center of gravity and leverage thing. With front paws aboard, they are still helpless. With a brace behind the head, they can pull with the front paws while pushing against the hand with the neck and head.

Clear as mud? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took our new puppy sailing yesterday. She's almost 6 months old and almost 60 lbs. She has gotten on a kayak and I think a surfboard in the pond, but never on the Adventure Island.

She could tell I was going out, and wanted to come, and I was trying to encourage her to get into the back cargo area. No fool, she could see where the GOOD seat was, and was trying to get in the cockpit. I finally decided I would have to occupy the cockpit to solve that problem.

I got in, and was trying to get her to get in behind me with one hand while holding my position near the shore w/my paddle in the other. It wasn't working. I put the paddle down and grabbed both her front paws and brought them in the boat. She got the idea and started walking with her hind legs a bit to get closer. That pushed the boat offshore, and deeper. Her butt sank out from under her and she was swimming. I was drifting quickly into some grass along the shore.

She swam up alongside me, and I basically grabbed her collar and a front leg, then heaved her front half aboard. Still holding her collar with my right hand, I scooped her butt up into the boat. She was helping as I mentioned above by craning her neck back. Woo hoo! I can get her aboard in deep water! (At least until she grows to her projected 90 lbs! :shock: )

I kept trying to take pictures, but in all of them either cut off part of myself or part of her. She's better looking, so here's the best pic:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think thats the dog's way of telling you to buy the tramps