Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm finally in...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howzit AI sailors,
I finally went all in for the AI. Picked mine up today! I'm stoked! I'll be attending the first meeting of O'ahu AI owners tomorrow at Lanikai Beach.(near the canoe hale, I think). I'm hoping to test drive it tomorrow,weather permitting. It was pretty stormy in Kailua today but the bay looked good for sailing... Come to the meeting if you want to sail after. I've demo'ed the AI but never set it up yet , probably use some help. See you out there.
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations and welcome to the AI owners' club Leonard. Bob would be a most appropriate man to help you over there if he is nearby. Many wonderful adventures to come...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats Kayakmann50!

Nope Pirate, were a couple of islands and 100 miles away (on Maui), though we could get together using the Superferry. With a couple of nasty channels between us, we probably wouldn't be sailing between either. With 20-30 AI's here on Maui, I would think you'll find even more AI's on Oahu (the largest population center).

You may run into Boogie-D over there. Be careful, he's as (crazy?) enthusiastic as me and may drag you out fishing miles from shore for big game fish if you're not careful. :shock: :wink: (say HI for me)

Be safe, the weather's been wild and unpredictable in Hawaii this winter, with the forecast being revised almost daily and many sites disagreeing. Usually the weather forecast here is almost boring with with more than a handful ways of saying "warm and mostly sunny". :)

Start putting together your emergency gear, tools and spare parts. Then find some others, just a little crazier than yourself to sail with, and you'll be off to a great start.

Plus we're always here to help, (and antagonize) and we understand that "ear to ear" grin you'll be wearing.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey! Good to see you found the Hobie forum, we talked on the phone a couple times and on aquahunters.com.

Glad you made the purchase, we'll have to get out. Although I'm probably a lot less crazy than others, I need crazy people to drag me out, but hopefully I'll venture further out as I get used to hawaiian weather.

I would go and talk to Jon at Go Bananas about safety, he will talk your ear off for an hour, haha. I would get a bow line from him, along with a vhf radio at west marine, $89.88. Go Bananas has a good safety checklist.

Hoping this crazy weather calms down so we can start getting out to some Mahi Mahi and Ono!

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm sure you will enjoy your new sailboat (with free kayak). It can be life changing!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howzit,
Just an update about the AI owners meeting. Had 10 people attend and talk story about their experience and love for the AI. We intend to meet about once a month.
After the meeting, I finally got to set up my boat (with free kayak)at the Kailua boat ramp. Conditions were perfect for a shakedown cruise. Winds were light and varible to 15. Mahalo to Boogie D and Steve for keeping me company. The set-up was simple and we were off in 15 minutes. The 3 AI's drew some interest from others on the beach , and I'm sure there will be more future owners. Any way we headed for Mokumanu and Kaneohe bay. We sailed back and forth from Mokapu to the Mokoluas, but I never had a strike. I need to customize y pole holders. We stayed out for about 5 hours, reaching the shore at 6:15. About a 5 hour run I think. I am sunburned despite loading up with sunscreen Got to watch out for that.
It was a great day and I appreciate the advice and kokua from the other AI people. I've been working on consolidating my gear. Please add links to what's in your tool kits and how you prep and pack your gear. I've all-ready made a trampoline set and a crude ama mounted outrigger. I could also use some advice on posting pics. I got to get ready for work.Thanks again
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds sweet man, post pictures of your out rigger and trampoline netting...I was thinking last night about how to build an outrigger that uses the amas! We definitely need to hook up and get out fishing soon.

Very good description of the sail, I'm jealous! Can't wait to make it to the next meet.

I've been focusing mainly on safety equipment,
VHF
GPS
Signal Mirror
Whistle
Headlamp
PFD with pockets
The long red roll of tape to make you visible to planes/heliocopters SeeRescue?
Bow line with paddle leash

I think I've got everything now, and I've been using the boat alot in bays to get used to it, so I'm definitely ready to start getting out. Also practiced steering the boat without a rudder in case the pin breaks. But mine seems solid so far, but I haven't put any huge stresses on it. Might try replacing the pin while in the water...

I've been looking at lures / heads to troll in front of baits, because we can achieve the speeds required for those. Also, we can use birds and such, it's gonna be fun man.

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a link to what's in my toolkit:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... ight=tools

Glad you had a good time. It's more fun sailing with others.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject: Tools...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howzit Guys,
Mahalo for the tool list and links. I put in a solo run at Hale'iwa yesterday. It was a blast. I trolled an Opelu, but it came in without even a scratch on it. I nearly sailed into some whales, as I have taken to sailing pretty much in the prone position. I looked up about 30 yards from them and tacked away. The sailing was wet and wild with the winds to 20kts. I was a little over powered surfing downhill with the fullsail. Furled to the first batten, it was perfect. I'm big and the boat was actually burying itself while pushing through the waves in front. Good fun! I did 3 runs to Laniakea and back before I had to go work. I carried only a locking pliers, screwdriver and a pin. It looks like I'll need alot more tools. I'll work on it today.
I guess everybody's heard about the death of the superferry. I never ride em' but wanted to. I have relatives on Maui and was planning to do it. Oh well...
Enjoy the weekend, I might be talked into a run on Sunday.295-9731
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard
ps- where's the link on how to post pics for dummies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Leonard,
Try this:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9237

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howzit Stringy,
Mahalo for the help. I've managed to post a couple pics to Photobucket, but still unable to add to Hobie forum. I'll get my son to help me. Winds in Hawaii have been hellacious! I've gotten three trips on my boat and am having fun. No fish yet!
Leonard (photo dummy)[/url]