Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pirate, I would tend to agree with you. While I haven't had the 400c all that long, and it appears to be a nice unit, I do think I like the 76 better. Having the Bluechart built in, as opposed to loading myself, benefits me in one way (reference the road & lagoon I've mentioned in other threads), but the convenience of having the chart on your PC would be nice as well. As Chris said, it's a judgment call on the extra cost.

As for other advantages of the 76 vs the 400c, stay tuned campers. Since they're both here, I'll be using both through the upcoming boating season, and figuring out just what I like and dislike about each. I'll keep you all posted on the results.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate, I have been looking at the Bluechart Licensing conditions and, if I understand correctly, they will permit Bluechart to be installed on two GPS's. I think the intention is to allow you to upgrade your GPS once, without having to purchase a new license, but it also means you and Mickey could share a license and halve your individual cost. We had a great time yesterday - I'm sure Mickey will fill you in.

Those distant sails are Stringy and me rounding Lion Island. Mickey got a bit carried away with being in the open sea and went more or less via New Zealand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How lucky is Mickey!.. Gets to ride up to Sydney on his beautiful yellow Honda Goldwing, then goes sailing in apparently perfect conditions out in the ocean in a borrowed yellow AI just like his, then is set to enjoy the Ulysses week and in the end bring home a new Garmin. But I am not envious...not half!!..bugger it...business or no business, I am going too next time.
Thanks Chris and Stringy for looking after the old fella and tell me guys did you have to help him in and out of the boat during the day?...Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

He was quite sprightly Pirate and well oriented, except for that period where he seemed to think he was Thor Heyerdahl :lol:
Don't worry, he's already made reservations for you guys to camp at my place on your next trip up.

PS - He's actually younger than I am (just) :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Pirate - I am only able to communicate with you on this forum as I can't remember my gmail password :cry:
Chris has spent some time showing me the features that this gps has and it looks good to me.
Have you heard any more from Rob yet??
I am only able to check the forums about once a day.
We're all having a good time here in Penrith - although I miss the Keen Ages and Oldtime Dancing - not to mention our AI Adventures :roll: :) By the time I get back you'll be unstoppable :P :wink:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been speaking to a Garmin dealer today & he tells me that the 60Csx is virtually identical to the 76 CSx except that it is in a smaller case and does not float as well as the 76CSx.
The screen is the same size and it has the same waterproof rating.
The buttons are at the bottom instead of the top.
The 76CSx has a larger case to accommodate more air to make it float.
Personally, I am not too concerned about that feature because I intend to keep it tethered securely at all times.
There's a saving of about $40 between the two models. I realize that's hardly worth haggling over but I quite like the smaller overall size.

He also confirmed the you can use one copy of the bluewater charts on two GPS devices. However you cannot do the same with the Street maps (I think I mean City Navigator) as they have removed that feature.
I'm not entirely sure, but have a sneaking suspicion that I already have the Blue Water maps on an old PC at home however I might not have the charts for our area :roll:

Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I must admit, I wouldn't mind it being a bit more compact Mickey. I didn't realise that was the only difference. Did you make it to Johnny Appleseed?
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Errr, I just got back from trying my GPS-plotted route through the swamp. Didn't go so well. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Hi Pirate - I am only able to communicate with you on this forum as I can't remember my gmail password :cry:
Chris has spent some time showing me the features that this gps has and it looks good to me.
We're all having a good time here in Penrith - although I miss the Keen Ages and Oldtime Dancing - not to mention our AI Adventures :roll: :) By the time I get back you'll be unstoppable :P :wink:
Mickey

Hi Mickey :D :D ,
Nope Rob is hard to locate at the moment so unhelpful there. If postage is the only impediment to a new gps of my suiting, then I might wait it out for the minute.
Great to hear you have formed a good bonds with Chris and Stringy who we will definately get back to with our own AIs in tow in the not too distant future. Have fun at Penrith and don't forget the birthday girl tomorrow...Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just purchased a Ram Aqua Box for my 76CSx. The GPS sits in a foam block and the box face is soft clear plastic. Looks like it will protect the unit from the salt water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
I must admit, I wouldn't mind it being a bit more compact Mickey. I didn't realise that was the only difference. Did you make it to Johnny Appleseed?
Chris

Not yet Chris. I've still got a few days before I bite the bullet. :wink:
I went for a 7 km walk along the Nepean River this morning - partly to detox after all our St Patrick's Day celebrations :)
Spoke to a guy in a Yak at the boat ramp and I'm now starting to feel the need for another paddle. I think you said you're all booked up timewise this week :?:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
mickeymouse wrote:
Mickey

Hi Mickey :D :D ,
Nope Rob is hard to locate at the moment so unhelpful there. If postage is the only impediment to a new gps of my suiting, then I might wait it out for the minute.
Great to hear you have formed a good bonds with Chris and Stringy who we will definately get back to with our own AIs in tow in the not too distant future. Have fun at Penrith and don't forget the birthday girl tomorrow...Pirate :wink:

I didn't forget Minnie, Pirate :wink:
Went for a 7km walk along the Nepean River this morning - partly to help detox after excessive St Patrick's Day celebrations :) Spoke to a guy in a yak at the boat ramp and it's got me pining for a paddle. Chris, I think you said your committed for the rest of the week :?:
There are some absolutely fabulous waterways here and all the way up the coast. We need to get cracking Pirate or we'll never fit all our adventures in :P
Stringy wants to sail down the coast from the mouth of the Hawkesbury to Sydney Harbour - that sounds pretty interesting :roll: Maybe we could team up with him and Chris and create our own small armada :P :lol:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Armada you say Mickey!!!. Now I'm getting excited. I'll crack out the cannon and dry powder and be along shortly....
Hurry back mate. The girls ran rampant at dancing last night especially after Debbie turned up to swoon away their only male partner. I need help fast....Pirate :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Chris, I think you said your committed for the rest of the week :?:

I'm free on Friday after 4 Mickey.

Last edited by chrisj on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob L,

The RAM mount aqua box (large) may be just the ticket for those who want protection and a mount for their Garmin 76 GPS. The soft Flex Lens cover which allows operating the buttons can be replaced as necessary at modest cost.

Here is a link: http://www.gomobilenow.com/RAM_B_138_AQ2_RAM_FOR_AQUA_BOX_MED_p/ram-b-138-aq1.htm These RAM mounts can be mounted in the cup holder.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon