Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone successfully mount sidekicks to the AI hull? I know, I know ...why? For different reasons I won't go into yet, but I will only furl my sail out one third the way.

There's always someone who'd done it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quite a few have done it as Adventure's (small sail) including Aloha Dan.

Also someone here or on the KFS forum made an adapter to use the small sail in the AI's mast hole.

Why?

:)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:57 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Mongoose

Sidekick works great with the small sail.

For the large sail, I haven't tried it yet. I've thought about it and will probably do so this summer.

Only thing I fear would be you let the large sail out to far and the plastic connector in the sidekick yaku might break. I broke one in heavy winds pushing the small sail to the limit.

You will probably huli immediately if your going great guns. I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kayaking Bob and Aloha Dan,

Yeah there are times when I just want to whip it out and go for a quick paddle and light fishing but still have a sail ready to pull out of the hull if conditions change. It would be cool to mount the sidekicks on the front cross bar (any reason for not using it at this position?) so that I can use the full paddling stroke . I use to have a Sport so I am familiar wtih the small sail and sidekicks. The sidekicks are easier to throw in the car and a lot lighter. Does anyone have pics of the modified small sail mount or the sidekick adapted to the AI crossbar?

Mongoose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can't help with sidekicks but here is the small sail adapter:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=6917
Depends on what model AI you have -pre/post 08.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringy,

Suh weet. Want to thank you...it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Now to get the sidekicks figured out. Then I go.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha Dan,

Do you think putting the sidekicks in the front crossbar area would work as far as drag and the kayak wanting to reverse around on you. I would think it would be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:36 am 
Hobie Team Member

I don't know.

Most guys mount them aft.

Some have moved them even further behind the rear soc head holes for the large sail crosspiece. By changing the position of the mounting screws (think they used well nuts) they end up with the sidekick cross bar cutting the tankwell into two sections.

If that's problem you could certainly try the fwd position. The adapter plate should fit the fwd soc head holes OK. But by mounting the sidekick cross piece as I described above, you don't have to disconnect the adapter plates everytime you switch to the large sail. Hope I made that clear enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you AlohaDan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you again Stringy for your design. I'm going to do it so I can modify my AI for windless or small wind days. Also want to paddle. Being able to furl is a great help also.

I'm going to mount the sidekicks just behind the foreward aka cross brace. Has anyone mounted them in this (forward) position? How is the performance when placed here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha Dan,

Bought the sidekicks and small sail and the adapter parts for the sail mount are being ordered. I see the problem with mounting the sidkick support bar up front. Not much area to do that. Figured one way would be to have the bar professionally bent in the middle and that would conform to the hull better but then I would be bolting into hull plastic (thinner I am guessing) and not rail plastic (thicker).

I was wondering where you mounted your sideckicks in the back storage area and were you able to paddle on the backsroke with it mounted there? My other thought would be to mount as far back on the storage area as possibe. I know you ran for a long time in Aventure mode w/ sidekicks and small sail. You are in AI mode now though yah? Do you convert back and forth from Adventure to AI modes?

My parts for the sail will probably be in in about a week so I'm on it with the sidekick positioning right now.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:50 pm 
Hobie Team Member

If you mount Sidekick aft using the plate for the AI holes, the yaku will interfere with your stroke.

However, you might try it first, and experiment with a more vertical stroke pattern. This avoids drilling other holes which can be done if you don't like the designed setup.

If the design setup doesn't workout for your stroke, you have to move them back. Guys that have done so placed them so the crosspiece cuts across at approximately the middle of the tankwell.

If you don't want this tankwell space separated in half, move the crosspiece to the rear of the tankwell. It should work ( I have not done this) and your stroke won't be interfered with . You should still get enough increase stability to use the small sail.

I still fish in Adventure, vs AI mode. But infrequently, and mainly where I do not expect any wind for sailing. One of these days I will try the AI sail (reefed up) with the Sidekick ama. But please note this put's a strain on the Sidekick plastic crosspiece/yaku connector. I'll probably put a connector re-inforcing sleeve over the connection and be conservative with the sail area.