Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is the HCA going to do with a new class? Both the Tiger and WC are both F18 legal, so are you just going to clump them together and call it Hobie F18 class?

None of the newer designs have proven to be faster than the others. They all have weakness' and strong points for different conditions and wind stregths. The Tiger is 8-9? years old, and still does well against the Capricorns, Infusions etc. I don't have a stake in this class, but I am curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:59 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Actually, the Tiger is more like 14 years old (1995). It wasn't until about 2000 that the Tiger started racing in the US.

My guess is that it will be several years before this becomes a "problem" and I expect it will be handled in just the manner you suggest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My hope would be the WC and Tiger would be allowed to race head to head. The Tiger is a great boat, but we are looking forward to our WC, hopefully ares will get here this fall or at least by next spring. Our dealer is just waiting to get the final details from Hobie. There is supposed to be a few WC here by F18 nationals in September but those were already spoken for. Looking forward to more discussion on this matter coming up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Karl Brogger wrote:
Both the Tiger and WC are both F18 legal, so are you just going to clump them together and call it Hobie F18 class?

If you're going to do that why not just clump everything together and call it the F18 class?

The WC is an F18 it's not a Hobie One-Design class. If you ask me you race F18 or you race Tiger One-Design. Creating a third class so the Tiger and WC can race together doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you do that?

Last edited by BobMerrick on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea, but how about rule number 1?

ONE-DESIGN CLASS RACING
The design and development of Hobie Catamarans
are directed towards strict one-design
classes where the true test is between sailors
and sailing skill, and not boats.

Maybe someone can find a loophole... :D

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let them race together. Both boats fit the F-18 compliance rating. The only difference will be those that can afford the new boat. If you let them race together eventually there will be used tigers for sail when the top of the Fleet begin to upgrade.
Also there is the issue of the Tiger bieng on the "Shot" list for an olympic boat if they are restored to medal status.
Maybe the Tiger can get longer boards and a wing mast in the future, as well as the new rudder system.
Just please don't alienate one boat as that will kill racing on those platforms.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan, answer your phone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl, I am not kidding. Pain and suffering.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BobMerrick wrote:
Karl Brogger wrote:
Both the Tiger and WC are both F18 legal, so are you just going to clump them together and call it Hobie F18 class?

If you're going to do that why not just clump everything together and call it the F18 class?

The WC is an F18 it's not a Hobie One-Design class. If you ask me you race F18 or you race Tiger One-Design. Creating a third class so the Tiger and WC can race together doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you do that?

or...how bout we be radical and eliminate Tiger, Wildcat Class or whatever you wanna call them and call them what they really are F-18's. And we could invite the other f-18's to race, and "oh my" increase regatta participation, and, all the other good stuff that it would do. It would only help.

Aw, never mind, I like, the, let's act like F-18 doesn't exist stance. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Korz wrote:

LOL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Korz wrote:
or...how bout we be radical and eliminate Tiger, Wildcat Class or whatever you wanna call them and call them what they really are F-18's. And we could invite the other f-18's to race, and "oh my" increase regatta participation, and, all the other good stuff that it would do. It would only help.

I have always thought this was a good idea but there were always a bunch of Tiger sailors than wanted to make a go of a one-design class. I think the Tiger guys are entitled to that. As srm points out the Bylaws are clear about our One-Design focus. (I actually tried to change it to One-Design and Formula Racing years ago and was promptly shouted down. Fair enough.) If the Tiger class starts to seriously fade away then we have a new situation and I would think that F18 would be a good idea.
I do not think it would be a good idea for the Hobie class to just allow F18 racing without some sort of partnership with the F18 class. The Hobie class can not become the de facto F18 class. That’s when we run into the kinds of problems that we have been correcting over the past few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok so we allow One Design(er) Racing in class. Race any F-18 as long as its Hobie.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just wrote a 4 paragraph whiney letter. I let it sit on my computer for an hour, then just erased it. I feel better.
If ANYONE can come up with an acceptable solution to the F18/Tiger-WC issue that MOST people can agree on, please PLEASE contact me off list with your big idea! [email protected]
I know what I'd like to do, but I sure as (censored) am not going to say it to the whole world! Big Brother is watching I have come to find out....... :shock:
Also, if you have any really good insights into the Wave issues, the H16 spin issues, Youth Age issue, H16 worlds issues.......insurance, how to legally register the organization......area championship attendence........Olympics.......I could seriously go on for another 10-15 things..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Big Brother

Post subject: Sometimes ... SuperGlue
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,

Hang in there guy .... sometimes though you need some "SuperGlue" on the fingertips !!!!

Harry

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11