Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to live right outside East LA. To keep people from messing with my boat in the Driveway I hung a big sign on it that said "FREE" , That way noone touched it.
Valley Blvd East Side L A , baby.

Now Its Humboldt County but the gangs here run arround in 4x4's and wear colored plaid shirts.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just be careful. Agreed about some USA towns too (I didn't even want to stop for gas in Gary Indiana.......) but this world is a pretty (censored)#y place right now and things aren't necessarily just the way they always have been. My good friend from HS is a DEA agent in south Texas and he sends out email warning of the fact that the Mexican bad guys are all kinds of pissed off because of the USA's efforts in keeping drugs out is working and money is tight down there because of it and tempers are flaring.
Just be really careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Someone actually tried to defend the safety of San Felipe with a Mexican Government run web site?

Personally I felt safer in Cambodia and Viet Nam then I would in Mexico right now. Didn't get hassled by the police or ripped off by the hotels I was staying at either.

My vote: MOVE THE REGATTA!

And Rick, this is not meant as a slieght to yourself, You do an AWESOME job organizing the regatta, and are a TRUE asset to the Hobie community. My opinion has nothing to do with the Quality of the regatta's you put on. I did not see anything asking for my input earlier, but I would have sent you an email saying the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thank you rick, for keeping this tradition alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bphendri12 wrote:
Someone actually tried to defend the safety of San Felipe with a Mexican Government run web site?

That would be me Brent. The info I quoted is from the San Felipe net, which is not a government site - it's run by American ex-pats. Sure it's in their best interest to make everything sound OK, but I've found them to be an accurate source of information over the years. They have particularly good information on the road conditions between Mexicali & San Felipe.
-Roger Brown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Rick, I'm not going to make it this year. Would you please dedicate at least 1 fish taco to me? And if you're so inclined wash it down with a cool carbonated beverage of your choice.

If any of you have time head down to Puertocitos. Its about 50 miles south of SF. Out by the boat ramp on the peninsula east of town there's a hot spring. At high tide it's covered at low tide it's too hot. You have to get it at med tide. It's true frontera down there-- bring gas. My family used to have a house down there in the 80's early 90's. If you're big on adventure go down to Gonzaga Bay, and Los Delfines, take the dirt road to the 1.

I've been traveling in Mexico consistently for almost 30 years. I lived in Southern Mexico for almost a year. I've sailed, taken trains, buses, donkeys, dirtbikes, class 5 bugs, class 11 bugs, what ever, all over that country. I spent 10 of my last 15 birthdays there. It's a pretty amazing place! Hopefully they'll get all of the nonsense under control soon.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, fish tacos are my FAVORITE!!!! That and Tecate........
But I live in Iowa and mention that fish tacos are awesome and people look at me like I am talking about eating chilled monkey brains. Oh well. My wife and I go to SoCal about once a year, and hit Wahoo's in Laguna and Dave Tacos in San Clemente. Both are awesome, but I like Dave's a bit better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about a report from Midwinters West?

Was the beer cold?

Were the fish tacos delicious?

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The trip to San Felipe this past week was FANTASTIC! The biggest issue we encountered was some dirt road. The beers were cold...the fish tacos ...Mmmmm the best in the world. For those of you who may not know, RUBIOS restaurant took the San Felipe fish taco and brought it to the USA. They are still better in San Felipe. The bad press about travel into Mexico is just that..BAD PRESS. I sent every person who made the trip this year an email on our return asking for a reply letting me know they made it home without incident, or if the trip this year wasn't all that fun (and to let me know why). So far with 16+ replies there are zero negative ones. The City of San Felipe greeted us with open arms. The locals bent over backwards to help our event. We had warm weather, lots of sun, two days of racing (8 total), and the poolside Fiesta dinner on Saturday was superb. Even Bil Weidner would have liked the tacos this year! I've got some event shirts, hats & shorts for sale if anyone is interested. If so, let me know by sending me an email to [email protected] . I can send you a photo / file so you can see the items. If you will be at Midwinters East this next weekend ask Matt to show you his MWW shirt and hat. As for our regatta results..they are already posted on the HCA-NA site under Area Championships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Rick!

There's this guy in town here trying to make a go at a mobile hotdog cart, just like the ones in San Felipe. In honor of you, on Sunday, I went and sampled his wares. There was no bacon wrapped around it, I didn't heap a bunch of jalapenos on it, it wasn't 3am, and I didn't wash it down with a Tecate, but man, Rick it was in honor of you!

So...whose got shots of Rick doing shooters while suspended over the sidewalk from Rock-O-Dile? That's the report I want!
:lol:

Thanks again for putting in the hard work!
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have always liked rubio's fish tacos, I didn't know it was a San Felipe recipe.
I had to suffer through Del Taco's fish tacos last month, but its better than no fish tacos at all (as I can't find them anywhere here in Iowa)

Glad everyone had a good safe time.

Did you need my mailing address for my free shirt?? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
I've got some event shirts, hats & shorts for sale
....You must have overlooked the last two words in the sentence. If you want the prices, send me a private email. Del Taco.....Yuck! I'd rather have some cajun catfish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea, I missed the 'FOR SALE' part.