Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taking on water
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got an '89 Hobie 18 (Stars and Stipes edition). It is in outstanding condition having been lightly sailed by the original owner in fresh water. The only issue I'm having with it is that it takes on water. It will take on more water in heavy air than light but it still takes on water no matter what the conditions. During a day of racing I might take on several gallons of water in each hull. It is enough that my crew and I struggel to get it on the beach far enough to drain it before we can move it higher or get it on wheels.

Where are the likely locations for this water to come in? I've sealed around the drain plugs and tightened up the rudder gudgeons. I'm going to start sealing everything I can find until the leaking stops. I'm going to start with everything on the transom. Then I'll switch the ports from the snap in to the screw in. People have told me that the water comes in the snap in covers but I have a hard time believing that much water would come in. Especially in lighter conditions.

Are there other joints, fittings, etc. that might be the culprit? The deck lip seam seems perfect with no visible gaps. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sounds like the daggerboard trunk/hull connection - you've covered everything else.

Use the vaccuum / soapy water method to find the leaks. Sometimes the hole will be so big that it won't blow bubbles, but you can hear the air escaping from the hull.

You can use silicone to fix it - use your finger to apply it inside the trunk from below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

"Sounds like the daggerboard trunk/hull connection"

I'll give that a look. I noticed that some gelcoat (?) cracking in the seam near the bottom of the dagger board trunk. There is a lip that you can just reach with your fingers if you reach up from the bottom. Is that what you are describing as the trunk/hull connection? What is strange is that, while there is definitely a joint there, when you look at the trunk through the port holes it is perfectly smooth. I doesn't look like there is a joint on the inside. I didn't do too much with that area because it looked like there was no seam on the inside for the water to come in.

I'll take a closer look. I should be able to inspect that while I am on the water.

Thanks for the response,
Todd

Post subject: H-18 Leaks
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Up, My 89 Worlds boat leaks too. :( I am planning on soaping up the boat and putting a vacuum blowing into the drain hole this fall. I know that my problem areas (visually) are the deck lip and dagger board trunks. I will repair the leaks and then plan on building up the bottoms & refinish my hulls as they are getting scarred from launching over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Todd, I drilled a small hole in your boat. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chris,

Now I understand! Now I just have to find the hole. It's nice to see a h20 sailor slumming with the 18s...

I had a blast in Clear Lake. Let's get some 18s to Clear Lake in September for Nationals! You should post the NOR on this forum...

Later,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slumming? I was lucky to be alive after that. Someone asked my what the regatta was like and I told them it was along the lines of a Civil War Reinactment.

Calling me a 20 sailor is pretty strong. I will pat myself and Reagan on the back for not dying on our maiden voyage though.