Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help sailing my 20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I live in the Bay Area and would love to get some help sailing my H20. I just bought one last December and have only gotten out a few times. Usually go out of Coyote Point or Half Moon Bay. My cell is (650) 483-9363.

Post subject: Tacking a 20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Zepher,

In order to tack your 20, you need to be close hauled (pointing as high as possible) and sheeted in tight...traveler centered. Turn into the wind; Release the jib as soon as you see the jib start to backwind (keep turning); release the main sheet and let out about a 12-18" of sheet and recleat it (keep turning); pull the jib in fairly tight on the new tack (but not too tight). Once the boat starts moving on the new tack, you can sheet the main and tighten the jib.

Common mistakes:
- not being sheeted in before tacking
- not being close hauled before tacking
- releasing the jib too early
- not releasing the main sheet at the right moment
- straightening the rudders before completing the tack

Hope this helps.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are in San Diego, call me and I will help you. My boat is kept at Mission Bay, the perfect place to learn.

I am concerned that you are trying to learn to sail on a Hobie 20 on the bay at a notorious windy place. Coyote Point is usually not a great place to sail a 20. Every time I have sailed there in spring and summer it has blown 20 knots+ (Hobie 16 nationals long ago and windsurfing many times).

I sailed the Nationals in Alameda a few summers ago. This is a much better place to sail a big cat. Less wind, more protection and a downwind beach to float to if you break down. Even here, the wind can blow hard.

Take a more experienced Hobie 20 person with you for any of these initial adventures. It will make the experience more fun and safer.

One last note, the 20 will tack quicker than you can make it across the trampoline when done right, but in wind, in a tight channel, without experience, you are asking to end up the day on the rocks. I know it's a drive, but sailing elsewhere until you are up to the task, it will save you time, money, and frustration.