Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Towing a Getaway
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We picked up our new Getaway this weekend (including trailer) - awesome looking boat - can't wait to get it into the water tonight. :D

One note though:
When we were trailering it home the dealer said that we should just leave the mast bob attached. On longer hauls, we think that this is a mistake. The amount of mast flex from the rear mast support was in our opinion excessive. When we removed the "bob" for the rest of the trip the amount of mast flex was minimal.

Conclusion:
If you are trailering a Getaway over any appreciable distance > remove the mast "bob". If you are worried about the bolts coming loose after time, just replace the nylon locknuts on the two attaching bolts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI,
Well we towed our Getaway about 600 mile one way in a 14 hour drive for vacation up into Washington County Maine. Highway speeds and back roads the Hobie, the mast and the "Bob" had no problems. Return trip was just as smooth.

One note: I tow with a Yukon XL and kept the mast over the rear of the truck. The "Bob" did not stick out past the hulls and we had purchased the fiberglass mast cradle. Tied it all securely and went.

My opinion is that you wont have to worry about it if you have it tied down properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I towed my 2001 getaway 1000 miles, (Denver to Calgary) at 65 mph without any problem. I was towing with a mustang, so the car wasn't acting as much of a a wind block either.Mine may have a smaler "bob" than the newer boats have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I regularly tow my new Getaway between my home in Portland OR and the Puget Sound (about a 3hr drive at freeway speed). I use the fiberglass cradle, and keep the bob close to the rear cross beam with minimum amount of flex and vibration.

I did loose my first bob though, on one early trip. The four bolts that secure it to the bracket loosened up. After getting a new new from the factory, I replaced the 1/2" long bolts that come with it with 3/4" long bolts, added split rings and use copious amount of lock-tite. I haven't had any issue. I like the idea of replacing the braket nuts with nylon locknut, just in case.

Carrying the mast so far forward ensures the bob gets minimum vibration but while the mast easily clears the top of my van, I can't carry my kayaks on the roof rack at the same time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:) Correction: I just checked my boat and there are already nylon locknuts on the two bolts attaching the bob bracket to the mast. My boat is brand new (2005 Seattle Boat Show). Hobie must have heard of this problem in the past, and fixed it. Good job!