Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am confused about the proper procedure for the drive mechanism when launching and beaching my Outback. Should the mechanism be removed or is it okay to have the rudders flat against the bottom when pulling the boat in or out of the water? I am pulling the kayak in (and out) from a shallow beach on a lake, and entering the kayak myself from a dock. Also, when storing, should the drive mechanism be removed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Tinker,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum. My rule of thumb on the Mirage Drive is the following: "When in doubt, pull it out." It takes all of 10 seconds to remove, and not much more to install, so why take a chance on getting sand or gravel into the gearing when pulling your yak up on the beach. But--always keep a leash on the drive unit when on the water so you don't lose it when it is removed. And don't worry about having the Mirage drive plug handy when your pull the drive. The plug is nice to have if you don't plan to use the drive, but you won't ship a lot of water, nor will you sink if you don't install the plug!

Also, I would suggest that you always remove the Mirage drive when storing the yak and when transporting, loading, or unloading to cut down the weight of the boat and to avoid damage to, or loss of, the drive.
Have fun,
Dick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tinker wrote:
Should the mechanism be removed or is it okay to have the rudders flat against the bottom when pulling the boat in or out of the water?
My outback came with a bungie to keep the mechanism tucked under the boat so it wouldn't get harmed when pulling it ashore. That is also how a couple of dealers treat their demos. Having had to just replace the costly unit from what appears as grit damage (shaft is pitted), I second Apalach's philosophy - when in doubt, take it out. I always take it out before going into shallow areas or during launch or landing.