Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old model?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
I am just about to purchase a second hand AI. The boat looks good, almost unused, and has no visible damages. The production number is 3 24 2007.
It has the old rudder (do not lock in down position) , standard fins.
My question is: If I buy this boat, can I get it upgraded with better rudder and other things?
I need to feel sure that I do the right thing here. I intend to use the boat in scandinavian waters, and do not want to regret I did not buy a 2009, just to save some money???
Please advice.
Many thanks
Jan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can buy the new Rudder Up/Down kit and install it to replace the old twist and stow system. I think it's about $75 (US) more or less and is well worth the hassle of installing it if you buy the used boat.

It takes a little bit of ingenuity, patience, and long arms to install it though! If you don't have a good dealer or shop to support any issues that the used AI may have, I'd probably recommend getting a new one overall. (That's just my opinion.........I like to buy everything shiny and new!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Actually I have been thinking that if you have the original black anodized alu on that model, that is preferable by far to the current painted finish, from a corrosion point of view. My AI is a year old, and I am thinking about getting it anodised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It comes down to price, if it were being sold for $2250 or less, I would consider the old model. But there are a decent amount of upgrades/fixes between then and 2009 that are all kind of niceities....

Also, keep in mind you have to pay tax and possibly shipping on a 2009 model, so the $3400 inflates to at least $3550 pretty quickly.

Personally, I like the click'n'go, knock on wood, I had a little trouble getting the drive in and out the first handful of times, but I quickly learned the proper angle and all that to get it to slam in the first time. I also feel the new click'n'go drive and drive well fit very snuggly together with virtually no wiggle/wobble room while peddling. If you don't plan on using the boat too hard then this isn't an issue.

Let us know what you decided!