Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI Tool Kit
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anybody put together a comprehensive tool kit list for an AI. I am planning on doing some extended trips this spring. Perhaps a spare parts list also.

I was planning to put together my own list, but thought maybe somebody has already expended the energy.

Thanks,

NorskBoy

Post subject: aloha
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:45 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I just posted a blogg about hobie AI safety look for it above

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My toolkit I carry on my AI contains:

Needle-nose Vice-grips
8" Crescent wrench
9/16" box wrench
1/2" box wrench
7/16" box wrench
3/8" box wrench
Short #2 philips head screwdriver
5/16" allen wrench
3/16" allen wrench
1/8" allen wrench
Letherman multi-tool

All tools have a (string) loop on them to clip to a Hobie Gear Keeper (#72020001)

Also in a baggie:
Wire ties
Spare rudder pins
Spare plastic shear bolts
Spare drain plug
Small piece of 1/2" garden hose (for nose of Mirage Drive
Spare spectra line
odd and end bolts, nuts, washers & cotter pins

Any other sugestions?

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In the tool kit vein, I carry an emergency fire starting kit. It is never used casually; it only sits in the boat awaiting emergency use.

I store fire making tools in a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle (the kind backpackers use), on the theory that a sturdy container designed to keep water in will also keep water out.

Here's what I keep in my fire starting kit:

3 small boxes of waterproof matches
1 butane lighter
1 tube Fire Paste (this squeezes on like toothpaste and will start finger sized sticks; this can be hard to find)
8 inches manilla rope (tinder)
1 steel wool pad (ultra hot, fast tinder)
1 packet chemical hand warmer
3 feet (or so) duct tape in a roll (for repair & first aid)

In reality, the fire paste & waterproof matches are probably all you need, but the other items help fill space in the Nalgene bottle.

I've given 2 of these kits for Yule presents.

Two AI's on order for spring '08,

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob,

You mentioned you were using a loc loc box for your tools? Can you give more details? Is it just water proof?

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Lock&Lock boxes are air tight, waterproof containers to store food. The 3 sizes we find most useful are as follows:

Tool kit size (fits in the pocket behind the Hobie seat) 550ml - 19 oz. - .58qt

Lunch size (easily fits in center hatch) 1.6L - 54oz - 1.7qt

Gear size (Just fits in the center hatch) 2.6L - 87oz - 2.7qt

I use 3 of the Gear size to hold my rescue gear, change of clothes, First Aid, emergency snacks, etc. (my friend Scott uses up to 6). Two fit nicely inside on one side of the seat and one on the other side, without filling up the area directly under the hatch. They latch on all 4 sides and there is room to tie a small line through the cover to leash if needed.

We buy them at Walmart or Kmart, usually in sets of 3-6 different sizes.

In the picture below, you can see an odd size Lock-N-Lock I have attached to the aka support in front of the pedals to hold and carry odds and ends like wire-ties, swimming goggles in an eyeglasses holder and a spare shirt. (I use the swim goggles when beating when I can no longer see through my glasses :) )

Kayaking Bob
Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob,

Thanks for all the help! I checked out the lock & lock boxes at kmart and walmart. I found the small size you suggested that would fit in the back of the hobie seat pocket. However, maybe they have changed the dimensions of the box or the pocket on my 2009 is smaller, it didn't look like it would fit. Do you have a picture by chance? I like the idea of the lock lock boxes though!

Also, can you tell me what type of rope you use? Does it float, is it nylon or other? Braided or twisted? What load strength is it good for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Remember with the seat back pocket, there is a second zipper that expands the size of the pocket. On the package it should say it's a .58 qt box. (If you still need a pic, it will have to wait for daylight, and maybe the rain to stop :) )

On rope: The tool kit size, I use a spare piece of spectra line (same as the rudder line) Super strong and thin, with a loop on the end to "leash" it.

Both the Lunch size and one of the Gear size, have a leash of light (50# work load) colored line with a loop at the end. (Lowes $3-$4 for 50') They are in the hull most of the time and usually only come out when mostly stopped (lunch or a gear change).

The one Gear box has a red line, and holds my safety gear (EPIRB, miror, extra batteries for the Marine and GMRS radios, etc) and is stored far back on my right side, with a second Gear box in front of it. It's "leash" reaches to the center hatch and has it's own small SS carabiner. I always know where it is because of where it's loaded and it's red leash.

(I carry and practice with emergency gear so I don't have an emergency!)

The only minor problem I find with the Lock-N-Lock's is that the cover is seperate (not attached) but I only have one box out at a time in the water and have not had a problem holding the box. I do usually leash the cover while I'm eating lunch on the water if in wind or waves (tied to a buoy).

On a couple of odd Lock-N-Locks, (like the one on the aka support) I have drilled a hole and added a SS hardware to attach the top to the base and still be waterproof.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cool, I didn't know about the second zipper to expand the pocket!

What about rope for an emergency, so you can be towed or whatever else it might be useful for. I thought someone said they keep 100' of throw rope on the boat. Do you keep any rope on the boat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ah, THAT rope! :)

I'm from a whitewater river kayak/canoe background so I'm not comfortable on the water without a throw-rope bag. Here's a link to one: http://www.plentypupule.com/throwbag.htm

To use in an emergency, you loosen the top, hold onto the top loop and throw the bag. The rope feeds out of the bag as it goes. If you miss and need to throw again, the water that enters the bag as you retrieve it helps without having to reload the rope. (The bag floats from a foam disk in the base)

To repack, you hold the top of the bag and stuff the rope in as you retrieve it. It feels odd, but once you master it, it's very quick and takes little room when stored. I clip the strapping with the plastic clip around the rear aka support and can have it in my hand ready to throw in a couple of seconds.

With the AI, we wanted longer rope for use also in anchoring or towing so my wife made us some with 100' of stronger line (3/8" ~4000#). One is made to disconnect with a carabiner inside so we can connect two together for 200' of anchor line for 40' depth at 5 to 1.

In the picture below, the closest 3 are homemade with 100', the last two are store bought, 60' and 75'.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's one damn handy wife ya got there Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes she is. :)

When I started to tell her your comment, she interrupted me saying "They don't want me to make throw-rope bags now do they!" :shock: :lol:

She's been busy creating quilt patterns and teaching quilting classes.

She thanks you for reminding me how lucky I am. :wink:

Kayaking Bob

P.S. Here's her new website with lots of pic's of her Quilt work
http://www.deesquiltdesigns.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, I notice you don't include nav lights in your emergency equipment. I bought some a few months ago, threw them in my emergency kit and more or less forgot about them - until yesterday. I sailed the length of Tuggerah Lake (about 10 miles) on a close reach in a nice steady 7-8 mph breeze. I had about 90 minutes till nightfall and was planning on taking the drive out and having a nice fast broad reach back across the lake when the wind just died, like someone threw a switch. So... I got to pedal 10 miles back, the last hour in total darkness. Boy, was I glad of those lights, not to mention having a GPS to point the way back. I will also include a torch in my kit in future - it was so dark I couldn't see anything in the boat. I would have been in trouble if I had needed to effect any repairs.
PS: My regards to Dale :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never picked up or used nav lights, but always carry a couple of small but bright flashlights (4AA). When I'm going out fishing, I also wear a headlamp until it gets light out.

Doesn't it change up our plans when that wind dies! :) Glad you got back fine. Gotta love that Mirage drive. Makes the AI standout, compared to other small sailing crafts.

I need to go through my Lock-N-Lock boxes and see all that I'm hauling around, maybe changing out year-old snacks still in there. I'll try to take an inventory of what else is in there.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Image Mmmmm. Year old snacks.