Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Duke,
Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say the lobster pot buoys have a "lot less" flotation than the swim noodles. Are they becoming completely submerged during normal use, are you capsizing, or what? I have never noticed that they don't provide enough flotation, but if you think that will be a problem, you can always go with the 6 inch diameter buoys.

I used only 30 inch long PVC for the outrigger arms, and found that they worked fine. If you use longer PVC, then you may get into flexing and slippage problems on the ball mounts, not to mention increased storage and transport problems. Check to see what length Hobie uses for their Sidekick mounts to get an idea as to optimal length.
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Apalach,
If you can tell me how to upload photos to this page like you have, I can show you what I mean. I have installed the lobster buoys but have not tried them yet. Have you sailed with the lobster buoys in 10-15 knt wind yet?
Duke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Duke,
Here ya go--see my post on how to use Photobucket which is one of the best out there--they now host upwards of 3.3 billion pics! Sounds complicated, but it really isn't once you get your account set up and try it a few times. Good luck.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 3414#33414

In response to your other question, yes, I have sailed in 10-15 knot winds--no problem. But it was the 40-50 knot microburst from a rainstorm about 5 miles away on a bright sunny day that flipped me before I even knew it was there. Nothing broke, but the lobster pot arm was rotated 180 degrees onto the deck as my hand-tightened clamp on the RAM ball slipped! Never had a problem on that with normal sailing, even up to 20 knot winds--but not 40-50 knots! Had it been a Hobie Sidekick, I have little doubt that the well nuts would have been torn completely out of the deck, and/or the arm would have been seriously bent and damaged. It's these kinds of microbursts that have been responsible for any number of airplane crashes during landings in rainstorms--a very nasty business! So my aluminum backing plates and SS screws and locking nuts did their job, and there was no damage to the hull, RAM ball mount, or to the lobster pot buoys or PVC arms. So, I guess you could say that everything worked as designed and intended!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach,
Good to hear everything worked as planned. I'm still having trouble uplaoding photos. Not enough computer savy I guess. I'll keep struggeling with it. Thanks for the help.
Duke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Apalach
Here is what I mean by less floatation of the 5x11 lobster buoys. I now have the lobster buoys installed (no pics yet) and I do have to hike out more to keep them from submerging. I ordered some 8x15, we'll see how they work.

I finally got photobucket going. Thanks for the help.
Duke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Duke,
Gotcha--nice pic--glad you were able to get Photobucket cranked up. I definitely see what you mean by "less flotation" of the lobster pot buoys now. However, you really have to decide just how much flotation is necessary for your needs. Joey of KFS was the original creator of the lobster pot buoy outrigger concept. He started with the 5x11 buoys and then later said he was going up to the 6x14s that KFS used to carry for a short while. I never had any problem with the 5x11s, but I later noticed that KFS quit selling the 6x14s and had gone back to the 5x11s. I like the 5x11s since they were easier to transport folded back on the deck, as well as to carry in my truck, and store at home.

However, I have to say that I like what you have done with the PVC/pool noodle concept. It looks very functional and streamlined. I would give that baby a try as well to see how it works for you. There really is no "best" way to do this. I was interested to see that when Hobie finally developed their Sidekicks that they went with an inflatable version. That was a first, and pretty clever in terms of weight and storage issues. So far as I know most users seem to be pretty well pleased with the Sidekicks. But, I'm like you--it's just more fun to build our own whenever possible! :D
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Apalach
Its an easy install. No holes to drill. Its all held down with a strap thru the scupper holes against pvc in the rod holders. I used 1" square tubing inside pvc but that was over kill. An easy way to get started without a large commitment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach,
How did you get the lobster buoys flush up against each other? Did you carve out for the 1/2" PVC? Very nice fit. Also do you fish trolling with the sail up?
Duke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

duke,
You got it--the ole pocket knife trick to hollow out a notch on the flat end of each buoy so they semi-enclose the PVC pipe so the ends fit flush against each other.

But, you caught me--I have not yet got up the nerve to both sail and fish at the same time. I need further work on my multi-tasking skills (or lack thereof), before I do that. Besides, to do fishing right requires all the concentration I can muster, and ditto for sailing. That's why I really admire what Aloha Dan has been able to do in that area. He really is pushing the envelope so far as I'm concerned, and has some mighty nice fish to show for it!

But that is one of the beauties of the Mirage Drive IMHO--it is such a great trolling tool, that I have not really felt the need to sail and fish simultaneously.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just fabricated a set of outriggers using your exact design. I also have a Hobie Outback Mirage. The only difference to your installation is that I used Ram Rod Holders #119D which are the same as yours but heavy duty. They have 2 1/2 inch rubber balls and a bigger clamping mechanism with the same tube diameter.

When I tested the outriggers this weekend the ball joint slipped no matter how hard I tightened down on the tightening handle.

I went back home and scuffed up the rubber balls using a wire brush on a drill, and I also with a file. The balls again slipped when I re-tested them.

The design simply does not work in the ball joints do not hold fast.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong, and any suggestions you can give for a successful solution to this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Marc,
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like something in the ball hand clamp was not working properly. However, the larger diameter ball mounts may be a factor too. It's not always easy to generate enough force with the hand and hand screw to really cinch up the clamp on the ball. Try some good quality reel grease (like the Penn) on the clamping mechanism so that it moves freely. I also roughened up the rubber on the ball mount with a file to provide a better gripping surface. Other than the obvious stuff like the above, its hard to say what might be causing your particular problem. Also make sure that your particular ball clamp is the correct size for the ball that you have mounted. Sometimes the dealers don't check closely enough to make certain that you have purchased a properly matched pair. Good luck.

Post subject: My outrigger problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Duke:

I fabricated and installed a set of outriggers just like the ones you show in your article...they are on a Hobie Mirage Outback.

The only difference is that I used RAM 119D tubes which are heavy duty and have a 2 1/2 inch ball.

The grip on the ball slips even after I scuffed up the rubber balls using a wire brush and a file.

Can you give me a suggestion for a firm griping action at the clamping mechanism so that the arms will not move when set.

It simply does not work if the arms are not ridgid.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just realized that you wrote me an answer to my first inquiry.

Sorry for sending a second inquiry like my first.

I will try to work with what I have or alternativily, perhaps the less heavy duty 119 RAM holders actually grip better.

Do your 119 holders grip firmly. On some other post I believe someone said they grip so well you can actually pick up the Kayak by the RAM holder when tightened down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marc,
I used the 119 RAM tubes mounted on a 1.5 inch ball. I can angle the tubes out at right angles to the gunwale and can pick up the side of the boat just by lifting up the RAM tube base as mentioned. I have not had any problems with the screw clamp holding on the 1.5 inch ball while lifting the hull under normal circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have thought about adding outriggers to my revo. My only concern is when fighting a fish. The line could get wrapped around outriggers. I am also thinking it meant make it harder to get back into the yak from a dump.