Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: first sail
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
Just wanted to share my first experience sailing my adventure island today, wind was gusting between force 2-3 offshore so I was a little cautions, generally fantastic very pleased...
Getting to the water is a real pain, I have a kayak trolly and have to drag it about 1/4 mile and lift over a low gate and down a quite steep stony beach, 2 persons required (unless anyone knows a better way)
In the water, all was quite straight forward, sailed away with half reefed sail Ok, extended sail fully big gust WOW goes very well, dagger board a bit of a problem as will not stay down, if I attach bungie it pulls the dagger out.
I then let a friend have a go (he has never sailed before) I followed in my kayak and he quickly mastered it and also really enjoyed it.
Getting it back home same problem as getting to the beach (there must be a better set of wheels available (any ideas)).
Anyway I would like to thank all that gave me advice while adding the sail option to the adventure (for anyone thinking of doing it, wait until the weather warms up, the plastic is much easier to work with).
Thanks Hobie for a great piece of equipment, cant wait for my next opportunity to get on the water (if I can get it to the water).

a happy kayak pedal paddle sailer person

Pete

Post subject: Re: first sail
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

micropete wrote:
(there must be a better set of wheels available (any ideas)).

Hi Pete,

Glad you had a great first sail.

One can find hundreds of wheels. But probably for rough terrain, and soft sand, you might find the large Wheeleze ones the best, with a wider stance too. The question is how large, because if you fit the wheels while the kayak is on the water, too much buoyancy of the very large soft type wheels is a problem. I think there would be a few threads on this forum about wheels, but here is one from another forum:

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20729
and
http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21669

Geoff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geoff wrote:
micropete wrote:
(there must be a better set of wheels available (any ideas)).

Hi Pete,

Glad you had a great first sail.

One can find hundreds of wheels. But probably for rough terrain, and soft sand, you might find the large Wheeleze ones the best, with a wider stance too. The question is how large, because if you fit the wheels while the kayak is on the water, too much buoyancy of the very large soft type wheels is a problem. I think there would be a few threads on this forum about wheels, but here is one from another forum:

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20729
and
http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21669

Geoff

Larger wheels no problem if you first half fill the wheels with water before pumping them up so reducing the amount of buoyancy and hence difficulty in fitting them into the scuppers whilst in the water. I love my wheeleze tyres....Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Pete

[/quote]extended sail fully big gust WOW goes very well, dagger board a bit of a problem as will not stay down, if I attach bungie it pulls the dagger out.
Quote:

The dagger board bungee has to be fed through a loop eye on the hull to keep the board down, Matt has included in his Sticky Notes at top of Forum, includes a photo of where to feed the bungee.

Cheers
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I previously had the same problem with the dagger board. The sticky note solution referenced above fixed it, I'm sure it will for you too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howzit Pete,
Congrats on the AI conversion. I've had mine a short while and been out 3x. Big fun. The winds have been strong here (O'ahu)for about 3 weeks straight. Small craft warnings for tomorrow too! I'm still planning a flat water run. Enjoy your new toy. Try to find an easier launch site so you'll go more often.
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Pete,

I too launch from a stony beach and there's no easy fix. I have tried various trollies all of which function fine until I get to the stones. Then it becomes a real haul. My easiest solution is to use the trolley to get to the beach and then with one other person helping, hand ball it the last few yards. Not perfect, but it works.