Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just rang the shop that sells these motors. They confirmed that the motor fits through the drive well, so it is easy to take in and out from inside the boat. The guy from the shop hasn't tried one, but he said they had sold about 6 units and the feedback he was getting was that they are quite a bit faster than the Mirage drive. He also said that the guy who designed the setup did so specifically for fishing offshore - so that he could go further out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i had an '05 adventure with sail kit and sidekicks just for kicks i added my minnkota 40(sorry, no pictures). i used a deep cycle marine battery that fit within a milk crate(no joke), a 2X4 about 30 inches long, 2-3inch bolts, 2 very large washers, 2 nuts and 4 ratchet straps. drill 2 holes through the wood. bolt it to the milk crate with the washers inside the crate. drop the battery into the crate. place crate in rear compartment. strap down. tilting motor mount mounted to 2X4 extending to the right side. place in body of water. pedal out to deep enough water to lower motor and off you go.
i used it twice it worked quite well but i had to lean a little to the left to counter the weight of the motor. with my 265lbs, motor and battery it sat rather low in the rear.
costs were minimal battery-$90, i already had the motor but originally purchased for about $150 everything else was already in the garage except for the milk crate(stolen from behind a grocery store--sorry i repent).
time from original concept to water--about 2.5--3 hours.
then i saw the AI and everything changed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

motor / users

The idea of safety or otherwise is an additional option. I have used the 30lb trolling motor for 2 years. Thru the succper or side mount. The side mount is the quickest to take on/off. Use the fishing rod holders and 11/4 pvc schedule 40 or 80 pipe to mount a pylwood type motor mount.. ie: {sea eagle} rear motor mount 50$. Also two straps for securing to rear aka bar. This allows removal for sailing after reaching day camp and others to tag along on the way back. The attachment thru the succper is easier on the eye..but more trouble to install. If contained on a trailer it can be left attached. The 500$ price can be reduced to 100$ just for the motor only.. Take top off motor at control head. Shorten the fiber rod to 12" below the boat. After it has passed thru the fill plug. Also include plastic bushing to keep blade away from bottom of boat. Reconnect the wiring with a trailer plug and resecure the motor rod with any type of rubber coupling. Fill the plug with a plastic bushing and spray expand foam. The addition of the metal for strenght on top can be replaced by more rubber to give a finshed appearence. With side mount you can retain the fins. If useing the 25# motor {battery} included in that weight You will be happy. For off shore out of sight this seems to be a good piece of equipment for the weight. A regular battery I haul at 40# is heavy in the front hold. It will sail ok at 6 to 12 knot wind... remove the 40# battery and sailing is improved...Fishing with the battery weight is good no troubles improved control..The Honda gas motor at 32# will lift you up and out of the water for good speed, but the weight to the side must be counter balanced...by you leaning over to the other side. If you try and mount to the rear where the rudder is, the rear end goes under to far...The best bet is the Torqueedo type motor, side mount as suggested..Removal is fast and can be stored in the front hold. The mounting boards can be left attached as they only interfer with the aka swing fold in. Torqueedo motor will also provide additional lift a trolling motor of any size will not. But the seawater Troqueedo is very $$. Look at the Sea Eagle site to see the motor mounting rear options to the rubber boats 50$ for this is a good price. Trolling motor for 85$ at wal-mart and the rest battery additional 100$. A smaller trolling motor is hard to come by, old 8-12# can be found at garage sales. Keep your body weight down under 180# if possible. So with the ...fins /sail / motor..you can move at steady pace other kayaks can not keep up with.. Many can out run you short term. Torqueedo will leave all behind...The motor is small in appearance.
The life span of battery is short to 3 years.. So you must have money for this hobby. If possible, the fastest in the water is with a trailer that loads /unloads as other boats..do all prep. at home. When you hit the water with the trailer you can be in the boat moving... 15 min. if no parking troubles.. {bassyaks} type site will offer many kits / various kayaks with motor attachment at rear. Hobbie is to low to the water which is why the other guy built thru the succper hole. I have used several kayaks scupper holes ....same motor ...cut in half.. over the last several years. Hobbie is the best option but slowest to get moving without the trailer. There is no one solution... all trips may require a different boat set up. I see that many other users do not like the motor options...wind conditions are the final say..Torqueedo is what I have tried to save for..but the trailer and other hobbies get in the way. Off shore conditions seems to leave no safer option..Hope to read more on this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kepra wrote:
..Hope to read more on this post.

Ummm....after all that I'm wondering what you could possibly have left to learn on this subject! ;)

I have to admit you people have me going. A Torqueedo or Honda 2 through the well would be highly amusing, and even this little thing looks kind of cool...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hrmm... (slightly off-topic) that site plagiarised that article, including images from my website (not even a mention or link).

Here's the original: http://yakabout.com.au/home/content/view/474/46/

Copied word for word. Poor form ECKF

http://www.macleanoutdoors.com.au
Hobie Factory Fishing Team
http://www.hobiefishing.com.au/fishing_teams/factory-team.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I managed to trace it to your website. I thought it was a bit strange, a U.S. website referring to a shop in Canberra, without mentioning where Canberra is (it's the capital of Austria of course). BTW nice website you've got there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Yeah, I managed to trace it to your website. I thought it was a bit strange, a U.S. website referring to a shop in Canberra, without mentioning where Canberra is (it's the capital of Austria of course). BTW nice website you've got there.

:shock: I always wondered where it was.....Pirate :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Copied word for word. Poor form ECKF

That's a polite way of putting it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisJ
Could you please post the brand name of that motor. Anyone in the US seen that blue Logo. I would just try a mail to the shop selling..my skill is limited e-mails often don't work out. I would like to try a Goggle search for that type of motor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kepra wrote:
chrisJ
Could you please post the brand name of that motor. Anyone in the US seen that blue Logo. I would just try a mail to the shop selling..my skill is limited e-mails often don't work out. I would like to try a Goggle search for that type of motor.

Kepra, the motor is a Jarvis Walker Watersnake. I'm not sure, but I think they may be made in Australia. I don't know if they are available in the U.S. If you click the link in 5thof November's post, earlier on this page, it will give you all the details. I don't know if the motor is anything special, it's the adapter to fit it into a Mirage drivewell that's interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

CJ
Thanks for the reply, as I viewed the site I did not see that. The width of the motor, allowing the insert and removal. The plug is from hobbie just reinforced and wired..maybe with kill sw and leads. I have had to cut a kota in half, mount in plug assy. as slid in from the bottom and then recouple to control head. It is a fast process, as long as an extra person is there to pick the kayak up. Or on the trailer. With a motor as pictured, that will fit directly in. I would like to buy that. Or if the item as pictured was for sale in CA.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kepra wrote:
CJ
Thanks for the reply, as I viewed the site I did not see that. The width of the motor, allowing the insert and removal. The plug is from hobbie just reinforced and wired..maybe with kill sw and leads. I have had to cut a kota in half, mount in plug assy. as slid in from the bottom and then recouple to control head. It is a fast process, as long as an extra person is there to pick the kayak up. Or on the trailer. With a motor as pictured, that will fit directly in. I would like to buy that. Or if the item as pictured was for sale in CA.

kepra, I think your prayers may be answered - Hobie is going to bring one out themselves. See Matt's post on the open kayaking forum:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12221

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A Torqueedo motor in the Mirage Drive well? OK, that would be extremely cool on the Adventure Island.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Motor mounting to the side... kit at Austinkayak.com ....native ultimate trolling motor mount

This may be a cost effective option for side mounting. The appearance is good. While on the various sites check the torqueedo rear mounting. I thought I saw a hobie model with rear mount and normal side handle control very nice if adapted to AI

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

People like me who are oldish and living with cancer would like an optional motor sometimes even if its just carried as an emergency backup occiasionally.

If I leave the harbour and get an equipment failure offshore with maybe some nasty weather coming in I do not have the physical strength to pedal the whole rig into a strong wind and/or swell for very long. As there is no safe landfall outside the closed harbour this would be a life-threatening situation possibly requiring rescue.
On a more optimistic note it could be used to motor upwind offshore so that you can enjoy a pleasant downwind run home.

Preparing for the worst on offshore sailing days is taking responsibilty for yourself and understanding your capabilities, and limitations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next