Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want a new main for an 18SX. I'm a light to moderate air sailor on Lake Erie,5to 15. Does any body have an opinion of the Calvert load path,vs.Pentex,vs new Mylar(Whirlwind). I now have the 99 version of the Hobie mylars. I have seen the Pentex,and they seem very stiff.

macotac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Whirlwind Squaretop I got for my H17Sport is a Pentex. It is stiffer than the stock Hobie mylar (mine was a 2000), but that is a good thing. For storage I just roll it up with all but the bottom batton (due to the different angle) and put it in my sail tube. With the Pentex I don't even detension the battons between sailing trips with no ill effect. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chip at Whirlwind upsold me a Pentex main for my 18SX saying the material is better than Mylar for stiffness and durability - then he shipped it to the wrong address, so I'm still waiting for it. But the guy who mistakenly got my sail was impressed enough with it that he's ordering a Pentex for himself.

Advice around this forum from others for a jib is to stick to dacron since Pentex and Mylar don't stand up to furling as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep a dacron for non racing and a pentex for racing.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skipshot, I agree, Pentex would be too stiff for a roller furled Jib or any other jib for that matter. I got a dacron one from Chip along with my main. A nice addition to Whirlwind's jib is that it has a leach line to eliminate flapping in higher wind (did not have one on my stock jib). 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

my 2007 furling Pentex is in beautiful shape on my jib. I really like it the reason i use dacron is that now the new tiger jibs are fully battened and i like my furler when it gets nasty, and when coming into a dock or beach.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rich, the reason I suggested a dacron jib is because the owner of an 18SX is is most likely going to use the boat recreationally since there's no racing class for it. So unless one's got the dough to blow hot rodding it or wants to lower the jib instead of furling it to preserve it, then dacron makes more economical sense to me, Skipshot The Cheap. However, I think Chip did say that Pentex does hold up to furling, but that material is so dang stiff I had my doubts. Maybe you can enlighten us on how furling affects Pentex?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have seen no real affects of furling affecting my pentex jib. I am sailing a 2007 mid year Stock Tiger jib. It will be a full 2 seasons this year after Round TI 3 events in 07 , 12 last year , and it still has a verry crisp nice shape. It tends to hold shape better than the dacron 18 jib did. That bieng said The tiger has no overlap so it doesn't rub the mast on tacks. If you have the standard 18 overlap then by all means go Dacron. With no overlap I think Pentex is a better choice.
( the views expressed in this comment are solely those of the writer and in no way represent those of this web site or sailing community)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For a Main Pentex baby.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bought a nearly new Pentex H-18SX jib...it has ~ 3 seasons of a lot of recreational use...and has held up well to furling and storage. We furl the jib when using the asymetrical spin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a load path from Calvert 2 years ago and am very happy. When the main is downhauled,it's as close to a wing that you can get. Unbelievable shape.
I furl the jib for storage, does OK. Must remove the top main batten for rolling because of the angle. Luff tape is VERY tight. Need a glove to get it up. I notice that the jib doesn't get the shape from furling as the Mylar did. Have to travel out sooner then before!!!

macotac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a HC 21 SE with sails from Calvert The main is a square head of about 3 different exotic materials looks like stained glass the jib is a great quality thick sail dacron material they still look and perform as when new.I toured the sail loft when on vacation in the Florida Keys and met the main designer and the lady who sewed the sails Wanted to meet Dave Calvert however he was out of town
FYI my sails are 20 years old
If I ever get enough money they will do a big reacher to match
Former Hobie Admiral Gary