Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bow Grind
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I noticed a small flat spot wearing on the bow of my OB hull where it contacts the ground when I load and unload from my SUV. Tried using a piece of cardboard and then a small rug to protect the hull but then it tends to slip around during the process. Now I'm trying a small piece of material from Scotch attached to the hull. It's a self adhesive rubber type of material that comes in strips that's intended for making stairs non-slip. It's rough textured and looks pretty durable. So far it's holding up but showing wear due to the small contact point with the ground. Has anybody else tackled this problem and if so, what solution have you come up with? (If you haven't considered it yet, check your hull!!) :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie makes a small dolly that attaches to the bottom of the boat. It's really small, it can't weigh that much. You might consider using something like that.
I used to carry my boat around but I found it was getting really beat up. Now I use a dolly. Sometimes I have to carry it, but whenever I can I use the dolly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the dolly that fits in the scupper holes and it works great. The wear problem is at the front of the bow where it contacts the ground when I'm loading and unloading from a tall vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a scupper dolly as well. I was thinking more of this little stap-on dolly pictured here: http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/accessories.html. Thought being it might act like a tail wheel does on an airplane. Maybe have a look at it and you can rig some kind of strap-on skid plate or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ronbo... Thanks for the suggestion, I'm open to any ideas. I've considered using some kind of strap on thingy but view that as a second choice as it would be one more thing to mess with. But hey, anything that works is up for consideration.

Post subject: Bow condom
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Contact Chip Buck at Point sails and ask him to make a padded, reinforced bow pad with a strap to keep it on the boat. It may be the type of accessory Hobie may want to look at so Chip is a good contact.

Point Sails-619-222-2227