Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I picked up a set of tramps and tried them out today. First and foremost was color selection. I picked black since it is easier on the eyes, doesn't show dirt (mud), I'm more likely to get cold than hot sailing and, oh yes, that's the color they had available.

Once installed on the forward akas, they can stay there permanently. So the most important question is, will they fit in the bag? Yes, with a little repacking. The foam separators are no longer necessary, nor will they fit:

The next question is, do the tramps need to be set up before launching? No. You can launch in any manner and set these up at any time. Same with breakdown and roll up. Yak, you could set up one side, start the other side and finish after getting in the boat. I like to launch "compressed" and set up as I pedal to deeper water. Once you have initially adjusted the buckles, you can unroll and buckle up from the boat if you like. The only stretch is the outboard buckle which you can lean out to get (once the others are done). Or, you can set up everything first then hop on the tramp then to your seat.

Once the bungees are released, they can be snapped together to keep them out of the water. Nice touch, Hobie!

Unroll the tramp with the ama free, then lock up:

Buckle up starting with the inboard side. Note the sewn in fibreglass rod to keep the material from bunching:

How about weight support? At 180 lb, I can sit...

...or stand

Whoops, who's sailing the boat?

Last but not least, what really happens if you strike an object? I frequently sail in and out of a buoy line and have had several near misses. So rather than wait till the unexpected happens, I decided to check it out while the weather was warm. I rammed a buoy on the lee side at about 5 MPH (after first disconnecting the aka brace, heh, heh):

BAM!

Then it disappeared ''' wait, could this be it?

Yes! Now if I can juuussst pass this...

AAH, that's better!

AND, much to my relief, nothing collapsed, and no damage. I was so pleased I did it again! Same result. The tramp flexes to absorb the shock but keeps everything in place. I was able to disconnect both aka braces and sail around just fine.

Overall, robust construction, excellent quality and great versatility! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great report (as always) RR

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, now wouldn't that review make you just want to go out and get a set asap. Good man Road Runner.
I love the road test over the bouy :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here you go Upyaboya:
Now I realise why that oar has been strategically placed!
In case you missed it there's more info here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11689

Roadrunner,
Another great review -thanks! 8) That 'kid' should know better! :wink:
I notice the aka knuckles are missing from your pics -coincidence?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:01 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Stringy, you're amazing!! This is a remarkably astute group -- it was thoroughly impressive how the forum "built" the Tandem AI from the first video then the EC 300 series. I'm excited to see what Hobie comes out with! But you should be appointed Chief Detective for the forum -- you don't miss a trick! :wink:

As long as you have the pictures up, it looks like those tramps are some old lace-up style -- no buckles and some bunching along the back aka. I would guess it's a different product altogether, perhaps a forerunner to these?

I'm always happy to show a knuckle! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stringy, wow.....but doesn't she look sweet!

I do hope that Hobie bring this tandem to us. It looks very good and almost effortless in design. Like a lot on the Forum, this has my interest immediately. Would launching prove difficult? I seem to remember you pulling the A1 over sand dunes while I haul it over a stony beach.

Of course, the benefit of a tandem is the luxury of having a second grunt!

I wonder will it see the light of day.......?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Now available... Aka Trampolines for the Hobie Mirage Adventure Island.

Available Now! $319.95

79527001 TRAMP SET AI - BLACK

Matt,

How do I get a set and a right load of spare parts?

Thanks

Upyaboya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

You would have to order from a dealer. May be in limited supply as we get going. Already sold out the first production run. More coming through next week.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt.

I figured that I'd have to order them from a dealer, I just want to make sure that the dealer can get what I need over here. I'll call him tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sweet!

I can’t wait till I get mine. Now all we need is tiller extender and see some really wild rides in our future.

Glenn

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
it looks like those tramps are some old lace-up style -- no buckles and some bunching along the back aka. I would guess it's a different product altogether, perhaps a forerunner to these?

Hmmm...It's elementary, my dear Dr Roadrunner! I see you know my methods. When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.:wink:
Actually (removing my deerstalker cap and calabash pipe) it was the detective work initially from Tom Ray's Ketterman video, Tasman's Duckworks and Weinerdog's knuckle posts that caused all the interest. Thanks to their astuteness and the other forum contributors we do have a better idea of what the new tandem AI may look like. As you can tell I am excitedly awaiting its release.
I had hoped you were involved in the prototype testing. After all your valuable contributions, which unquestionably have helped in promoting and improving Hobie's products, you should be! 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:36 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

stringy wrote:
I had hoped you were involved in the prototype testing.

Me too, and I'm still available! Like you, I'm very excited to see what pops out of the oven, so to speak. Not only does this "Tandem AI" look great in the pictures, but the possibilities as a solo machine are compelling. I also do a lot of pedaling and am thinking about what a potent cruiser this could be with dual Turbofins (drool) :!: :!:

I better call Hobie and make sure they have my phone number! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
stringy wrote:

I better call Hobie and make sure they have my phone number! :lol:

In all fairness, not only should they have your phone number Roadrunner, but you should be on the payroll as a test driver. I am certain that your time and effort in explaining the various features on the Hobie range have singlehandedly resulted in many possible customers becoming definite customers. In addition, the level of support you have provided to those of us who experience problems as 'newbies' is invaluable. I can think of several suggestions you made which not only enriched my enjoyment of the A1 but also helped me solve problems that would have proven insurmountable. It is this level of community spirit embraced by you and others that is simply priceless.

I am technically useless and needed encouragement. I'm now still useless but trying and I'm learning all the time. Hobie needs to step up to the plate and engage you more meaningfully. A good start would be to let you test drive each new product and write a review. If you test drive the tandem and write your usual excellently detailed review, I'll put my name down for one straightaway......sight unseen, price unknown....because I have faith that if you find the product alluring, they'll make the package attractive.

Better still, I feel certain that many others will be guided by your honest assessment and that will surely result in more sales for Hobie and even more satisfied customers.

Keep up the great work!

Upyaboya

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:00 am 
Hobie Team Member

Only objections I can see are:

1. Paddling restrictions. Anyway one fwd/aft edge can be folded to create space for padling like landing, etc.

2. Buying a set. Some guys may only want one side.

But I guess a trade system could be setup here somewhere.

The 200lb capacity BTW is much better than my homemade rig, and looks great for large pelagics like ahi and striped marlin.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
... the possibilities as a solo machine are compelling. I also do a lot of pedaling and am thinking about what a potent cruiser this could be with dual Turbofins (drool)

Now there's an idea! A linkage to connect the two sets of Mirage Drive pedals so that one aft seated operator could pump two drives. Hot roddin' the AI! Gotta love it.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next