Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Hullavator is not available in Europe, I had to order one in the USA.
Asking Thule why not, the answer was: Not save enough and a bit "shaky".
It is a bit "Shaky" I have to admit but it does the job.
The Adventure is heavy for Hullavator I think. I could not make it work if I had to go through my knees to release the arm assemblies and then, holding the release, lift it up. The arm didn't open. The trick I found is to have the arms released all the time. I first ask my wife to help me but that's not a solution of course. :D. Then I used some velcro to keep them released. But the easiest solution is to use the lock. Press the release and while holding it down, lock the arm. Now you have your hands free to lift the kayak in a propper way.
Just wondering if other Hullavator users had similar experiences?
One negative note about the Hullavator: I have cut myself twice with the bar mount assembly. Thule should make shure the burrs are removed before painting it.

Gilbert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm guessing you have it on a sedan-type vehicle, that would make it fairly low crouch to squeeze the two release grips and lift a heavy boat, even with the assistance of the gas shocks.

I have a Hullavator on my Toyota hi ace van which places the cradle much higher and I am able to get underneath it without undue bending.

Perhaps the Hullavator is oriented to higher vehicles as they often show RV's in their commercials?

It certainly makes loading my AI onto the Van much easier, and the Van can be driven into the garage with the yak in the Down position to clear low entrances.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If Hullavator is installed properly, there should be some clearance between the kayak hull and side of the vehicle right before lifting. I found it much much easier to unlock and lift if I positioned myself between the hull and the truck. That is provided your vehicle is tall enough, and you can fit into an area about 0.3m wide :D

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lol, I never thought of that, anyway I find the lift-struts do most of the work, its just starting it moving that first few inches.
The AI IS heavy for its length, I just squat and put my neck under the wale of the boat and and push up with my knees, it's only a few pounds initial load.
I like the way you can give the boat a good freshwater wash while its hanging on the side of the vehicle too.

THULE replaced one of my Cradle Arms when it was broken off by a truck backing into my Yak in Town, NO CHARGE!!!
(Sunstate Hobie mailed it to me for free, watta guy!)

Shop around for Hullavator, I got a great discount from Mal at Sunstate Hobie in QLD.
(free plug: Can't say enuff good about Mal Grey at Sunstate he gets all my parts to me fast, fast, fast. And his product and sailing knowledge are superb.)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 2 hullavators on my Honda Oddysey for my adventure islands. I often worry that it is too much weight on the roof, but it has worked so far. It took me awhile to develop a technique that works for me. I unlock the levers and use my shoulder to lift the kayak to a position where I can push the kayak up with my hands. The best thing about the hullavator is putting the straps on the kayaks while the kayak is on the side of the car.

I never thought of standing between the hull and the car before - might give it a try this summer.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I carry my AI on top of a Neon with a Hullavator, which puts the AI less than a foot off the ground when loading on the side. That means I can't squeeze the detent releases to lift the AI unless I'm lying on my back on the ground. So instead I hold them closed with the ball ties - if they try to spring up, just hang a small weight on the assembly - like a gear bag.

It is very convenient being able to load so low - with the AI on its wheels it is almost a rolling motion, then pull the wheels off. Great for me since I can't use both arms for heavy lifting.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BlueMark wrote:
I carry my AI on top of a Neon with a Hullavator, which puts the AI less than a foot off the ground when loading on the side. That means I can't squeeze the detent releases to lift the AI unless I'm lying on my back on the ground. So instead I hold them closed with the ball ties - if they try to spring up, just hang a small weight on the assembly - like a gear bag.

It is very convenient being able to load so low - with the AI on its wheels it is almost a rolling motion, then pull the wheels off. Great for me since I can't use both arms for heavy lifting.

A couple of toy rubber balls the right size can be pushed in to the grip recess to hold the triggers open ;-)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I finally got some photos up showing how I load the AI onto a Neon with the Hullavator

Click thumbnail to go to album.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BlueMark wrote:

They seem to want a password Bluemark.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
BlueMark wrote:

They seem to want a password Bluemark.

Should work now.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, works for me. Excellent series of pics. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! I'm new to the forum, sailed Hobie 16s years ago, and thinking about an AI or TI now as a bad hip has ended my windsurfing. Would like to avoid a trailer if possible. I see that a lot of folks are cartopping an AI with the Hullavator; has anyone tried it with a TI, or is it too much weight? I have an older Nissan pickup (Hardbody '96) and don't even know if the Hullavator will work with it, but it seems like a wonderful invention.

Hope you'll see this; the last post was some time ago!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wavsalr,

I don't know what part of the world you're in but I have a set of Hullavators for sale along with the clamps and rails that will work on the factory racks of a Nissan Pathfinder.

I'm just outside of Jacksonville, Florida.

Jerry

2008 AI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jerry,

Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, I'm in California, and the cost of shipping would probably be a lot. Also, not sure if it would work with my Nissan; it's a pickup with a shell, and the racks are aftermarket. Don't know the brand (no logo on 'em) but the bars are square. . . Probably have to take it to the Thule folks and have 'em advise me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The toughest part for me was figuring out how to get the AI up onto the Hullavator arms by myself without killing my truck, my Yak, or myself (in that order ...) and this is what I came up with - it is an aluminum easel with collapsable legs that I then hang one of the bow/stern ratcheting straps from that come with the Hullavator kit.

1) Position Easel in appropriate spot

2) While lifting the bow handle, pull down on the ratchet cord suspending the bow in the air

3) Lift the stern up and position on rear Hullavator arm and strap lightly in

4) release bow line and swing bow into front Hullavator cradle

As far as having to hold the latches in the open position for raising and lowering, I've found that if you wrap the hold down straps once around the release handle and pull it slightly to release it, you can keep the strap in your hand while doing the same with the other - the tension of the strap around the handle keeps it in the unlocked position - and then I just hold both straps and lift with them.

Im not a big guy - 5'6" (but on the muscular side) and have no problem this way.

The Easel is a bit on the lite side for this purpose and one leg is beginning to buckle but it is what I had sitting in the corner unused. I do plan on looking for a bit more rugged setup and will post with what I find this weekend.

Hope this helps ...

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV