Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pacific Action Sail
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Skymax,
The standard 20 sq/ft Hobie sail goes very well with the AI in Adventure mode. I use it regularly and it will give you a genuine into the wind sailing experience. With just the daggerboard in (no drive) my GPS showed an average of 4.5knots over 30 mins and a max of 7.4knots on a recent broadreach in 15-20knot winds. :) Great fun!

That's the best option, I previously owned a Revo and was amazed at how well it sailed, for a Kayak.
But, I was deterred from this path by the cost of the standard sail and even more by the difficulty of constructing the mast adaptor.
(The PA sail has been offered to me free-use by someone who has ill-health.)
I could prolly stretch to pay for the standard Hobie sail but where do I get a mast adaptor? Making them looked complex and experimental.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skymax,
I'm sure that if you went to a plumbers supply with the following Hobie parts....
84550001 mirage kayak mast tube receiver base
79512 mast collar
and maybe an '08 Mast Base (with receiver hole for pin - that is in cup) 79511101
......you would be able to put together an adaptor easily, using standard plumbing parts, especially if you have read this post and links:
viewtopic.php?t=6901
I wouldn't be without mine which is still just press-fitted together -no glue! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You make it sound easier than the long and complex adaptor construction Post, I stopped reading that Thread when the designer had finished a complex-looking thing of wood, glue, plastic etc and was still having problems with it wearing too quickly.
I have manual skills but I am lazy and I got the impression that it was still a work in progress, guess I'll have another look..

The mast pin is in the boat not the mast base, does this mean I dont need, "an '08 Mast Base (with receiver hole for pin - that is in cup) 79511101"

Is the AI going to be stable without the Sidekick's?
My Revo was a bit wibbly when sailing without them.

Thanx.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wood? I haven't seen that post.
If your mast pin is in the hull then you have the current (08 onwards) design which my update to RR's original post covers.
At the time the mast base wasn't available separately and I found I didn't need it, but it may make it easier to locate the pin when fitting if you include it.
I haven't tipped over yet but you do have to have your wits about you and keep a hand on the mainsheet at all times. The hull is very responsive to weight shifts. It's more of a challenge sailing it but that adds to the thrill! 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Didnt Roadrunner's post on this have a photo of an adaptor with wood glue and pop rivets on it? (Cant find it now).
I found the black poly Joiner and Bushing OK but he looked at me funny when I said, "PVC with a 25mm ID and a 32mm OD"

Same with the "Pressure Coupler", he needed an OD and ID for that and it didnt look anything like your photo of one, without the mast tube in hand I didnt know what on earth I wanted, still dont.
However, Mal from Sunstate Hobie has a Mast Tube he will give me and also has a Collar in stock.

The Mast & Sail is $AUD420, this is a lot of money particularily when you have just informed me that the AI is a, "challenge to sail", with this mod.
Is it harder than a Revo with no Sidekicks?
I dont really want to spend a lot of time and money building something that is difficult to sail, getting back to the original premise of just having a simple Downwind V-Sail and now seem to be getting away from that..

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So what's the advantage to using the small Hobie sail? Why not just use the standard sail and keep it partially furled?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess because partly it's a little heavier and more cumbersome to handle if there's no wind ; and mainly because the center of effort is probably higher, which means a tippier ride.
But I had the same thought to be true.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is for use only when the aka/ama are not attached, pure kayak mode, its way scary if you try the big sail in that mode.

The scenario is we often pedal downriver to the beach for a picnic and there is usually a seabreeze on the way back I would like to use.

Since I have a free PA sail that does work very well downwind and thats all i want it for and buying the Hobie sail is $420 dollars plus work I will just wait until my Hobie dealer gets a trade-in sail or one emerges some other way.

In the meantime I can gather the parts and maybe assemble the adaptor.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skymax wrote:
I found the black poly Joiner and Bushing OK but he looked at me funny when I said, "PVC with a 25mm ID and a 32mm OD"

Same with the "Pressure Coupler", he needed an OD and ID for that and it didnt look anything like your photo of one, without the mast tube in hand I didnt know what on earth I wanted, still dont.
However, Mal from Sunstate Hobie has a Mast Tube he will give me and also has a Collar in stock.

As I said you need to have the Hobie parts with you when you are trying to get the plumbing parts.
There are probably other standard plumbing parts that will get the job done. I just happened to have the pressure coupler at hand. I went to Bunnings with the Hobie bits and after a bit of trial fitting had the off the shelf bits needed to finish the job with very little modification.
The benefit of the standard sail is that it can be easily stowed in the hull when in kayak only mode with the mast in the paddle holder. The near 16' mast cannot and I imagine it would be very tippy even with the sail furled.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
skymax wrote:

As I said you need to have the Hobie parts with you when you are trying to get the plumbing parts.
There are probably other standard plumbing parts that will get the job done. I just happened to have the pressure coupler at hand. I went to Bunnings with the Hobie bits and after a bit of trial fitting had the off the shelf bits needed to finish the job with very little modification.
The benefit of the standard sail is that it can be easily stowed in the hull when in kayak only mode with the mast in the paddle holder. The near 16' mast cannot and I imagine it would be very tippy even with the sail furled.

As you said.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skymax,
There are some interesting posts at KFS from Stobbo who regularly sails the AI in Adventure mode. He mentions modifying an old windsurfer mast to make the adaptor. His comments may help you decide if the standard sail is the way to go. :)
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/commun ... hp?t=70660
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/commun ... hp?t=71026

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Skymax,
There are some interesting posts at KFS from Stobbo who regularly sails the AI in Adventure mode. He mentions modifying an old windsurfer mast to make the adaptor. His comments may help you decide if the standard sail is the way to go. :)
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/commun ... hp?t=70660
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/commun ... hp?t=71026

I used to sail the Revo that way as long as the winds were not too strong or gusty.
Thanks for those Links, I am sure the standard sail IS the way to go for the best all-around performance, just need that spare $420.