Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frayed Rudder Line
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had my Hobie Mirage Tandem for approxmately 13 months, and it is in excellent condition. However, I was surprised to see that my Rudder Downhaul line is extremely frayed near the crimp joint at the bottom of the kayak hull. It appears that the line has become frayed from rubbing against the metal guide loop at the bottom of the rudder assembly. Since the rudder line is specially manufactured as part of the rudder kick-up control assembly, it does not appear that this is an easy repair.

What is the best way to fix this problem? Does Hobie sell replacement parts for putting in a new down haul line? Is it covered under the two-year warranty? Has anyone tried to replace this line with a more sturdy wire or cable?

Thanks for any help,

-Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I experienced fraying of the haul up line shortly after I had my Outback. My dealer replaced the line for me and explained the cause of the problem. It seems the metal grommet that's inserted into the deck where the line enters had a sharp edge on the inside. Since your line is fraying where it passes through the rudder guide loop and not where it enters the hull, I would suspect a sharp edge somewhere on the guide loop itself. The only other cause that comes to mind would be if the rudder is heavily stressed as in when loading or unloading the kayak from a tall vehicle or storage location. I encountered this when trying to load the kayak bow first onto my SUV. Now I always load it stern first
As for alternate materials, I've seen posts where people switched to nylon coated stainless steel material. That may be a workable solution.
Personally, I'd like to see Hobie switch to a rudder similar to the one used on the Quest. That design pulls the rudder blade up onto the deck so it's out of harm's way but still easily deployed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found out my up/down rudder cable on my Outback was frayed after it broke! My hubby failed to mention that he saw the fray until I called him from my cell phone from offshore in the Gulf of Mexico.

A nearby dealer was able to change out the faulty grommet, reattach the cable, and add some super glue to the knot. Just took seconds and I probably could have done it myself.

I've read on other sites of several other people who have had this problem recently.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have chosen Spectra for the control lines because of it's very high abrasion resistance. Spectra is not as well know as Kevlar for abrasion resistant applications, but it is just as good in abrasion resistance and it does not have the UV problems of Kevlar. Spectra is used in bullet proof vests. We have tried solid nylon, braided nylon and nylon coated stainless steel and Spectra is the best choice.

If the line has frayed, it probably the result of one of several possibilities;

1) There is a sharp edge that should not be there.
2) On the highway the rudder may have been flapping in the breeze or bouncing on the road.

This should be covered under warranty and with a new assembly (the spectra line and the plastic tubing), it should be easy to replace.

Thanks;

Greg Ketterman
VP Engineering - Hobie Cat

Post subject: Plastic tie broke
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A frayed rudder line isn't the only thing we have to worry about. My rudder line failed this morning. I don't put the drive unit in nor rudder down until in deep water. It was a normal launch. About a half mile down the beach, the first sign of trouble was the steering knob wasn't helping control direction. The rudder was up in the air instead of being in the water. I moved the up/down knob and nothing happened.

The high tech rudder line is connected to the up/down rudder handle by a cheap plastic tie. The plastic tie where it connected to the rudder cable was rounded and well worn (thin) - about ready to break. The break happened where the tie connects to the handle. (see below photo)

A temporary fix to get the rudder working again was to close the rear hatch on the cable after pulling it tight to keep the rudder down. Whew, sure glad that didn't happen in rough conditions. That could have been disasterous.

I'm willing to bet other rudder lines are connected by plastic ties. The thought of a steering cable breaking while in rough water or swift current is worries me. Going to have to carry some plastic ties and do regular inspections of the rudder connections. Surely there must be a better way to connect the knob handle to the rudder cable.

Post subject: Rudder blade
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Noalias wrote:
...I'd like to see Hobie switch to a rudder similar to the one used on the Quest. That design pulls the rudder blade up onto the deck so it's out of harm's way but still easily deployed.
You got that right. The rudder blade is either down or sticking straight out behind the kayak. During transportation there is no way to lock down the rudder so it flaps in the wind. I also like the rudder design where the blade is docked on the deck. A little bungee can be stretched across a docked blade securing it during transportation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

man, this sounds like a common problem! My kayak is only 4 days old and the down line is already frayed.....to the dealer I go :wink:

Post subject: Common Problem?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

We have been having some burrs on the little loop of stainless at the bottom of the rudder mount fitting. The line passes over this and could get frayed. A little attention there can prevent the problem. Something the factory has already been doing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have just renewed my rudder yoke and frayed string. The basic problem is that the string was too tight. I also replaced the cable ties, and took the opportunity to lengthen them a little, thus reducing the tension on the string. I reckon I will have no more problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had my Outback about a month when this problem occurred (fraying on the uphaul cable near the crimp). The OB is now at the dealer's and ready to pick up. The dealer told me that when transporting, the rudder should be in the Down position so that the rudder cable doesn't rub against the yak.