Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hoping to be there after Mid-july, looks like good sailing conditions?

Also heard there is a long, surf-able Tide Break somewhere in this zone for Yaks that can manage small wavelets, like my Cobra Re-Vision.

Is there a good local shop to buy a wetsuit for my Nephew down there? :?:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was living in JB up until 5 months ago. Great place - perfect for an AI. if you haven't already seen them, have a look at my JB and St Georges Basin 2008 yak fishing & sailing highlights. If this doesn't make you look forward to being there, nothing will: http://yakabout.com.au/home/content/view/499/39/

There are a few other islands owners in the area (including one of the local preists), your local Hobie dealer is Outdoors & Beyond (Nowra and Huskisson) and yep, they'll be able to sort you out with a wetsuit, no worries. Ask for Brendan, tell him Josh from yakabout sent you and he'll look after you.

http://www.macleanoutdoors.com.au
Hobie Factory Fishing Team
http://www.hobiefishing.com.au/fishing_teams/factory-team.html

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great news thanks.

Will check the Links.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about some Bayside accomodation where I can launch the AI nearby without setting it up everyday?

Campground, holiday village, motel ?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm thinking of taking the the boat and the wife (not necessarily in that order) down to stay in one of these cottages at Hyam's Beach in a few weeks Skymax. They're not real cheap, but a great way to score some Brownie points and go sailing on Jervis Bay at the same time :wink: They're right on the beach, so no problem launching.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
I'm thinking of taking the the boat and the wife (not necessarily in that order) down to stay in one of these cottages at Hyam's Beach in a few weeks Skymax. They're not real cheap, but a great way to score some Brownie points and go sailing on Jervis Bay at the same time :wink: They're right on the beach, so no problem launching.

Actually Chrisj if you do that can you give me feedback pls? It seemed silly to stay in a place that required me to transport and assemble my AI for each days outing so lets stay somewhere where we dont have to do that, right?
I too am not afraid of high cabin rents if it gives me the convenience of leaving my AI setup next to the cabin. However research indicates this is not really possible at most of the JB tourist sites/cottages. I checked Hyam's cottages, there is no easy access to the beach from those sites, a long-time local told me the only accomodation that might enable that scenario would be the Seaside Cottages in Elizabeth St Huskinsson. most of the rest of the accessible Bay is surrounded by an embankment it would be impossible to drag your AI up.

I spent hours yesterday talking to residents and staring at websites and Google Earth only to find discouragingly that water access in JB is not easy if you are an olfart with an AI. (Unless you drive to one of the two boat ramps)
White Sands park is close to the water but elevated to some degree with a drop of about 2 metres to the beach, there is no direct access as the Park manager told me that wheeled kayaks have to be pushed out through the boom gate and then down the road to the beach where there are several steps down the incline.

He didnt know my AI weighed over 60Kg with all the necessary gear on board and just trying to pull the thing through the soft sand would be bad enough before you reached the staired embankment.
So, if you find somewhere where you can stay and leave your AI setup and you dont have to be Hercules to drag it back again please let me know so I can use it next July.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You've researched this more thoroughly than I have Max, but looking at their website, they are almost opposite the boat ramp at Hyam's Beach. I haven't checked if they would be OK with leaving the AI set up in the carpark.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let us know when and which carpark ChrisJ. I need to upgrade my AI.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Let us know when and which carpark ChrisJ. I need to upgrade my AI.

I'd be amenable to a sail out to Pulbah Island on Saturday, Slaughter, if you're still planning it and this weather improves.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
You've researched this more thoroughly than I have Max, but looking at their website, they are almost opposite the boat ramp at Hyam's Beach. I haven't checked if they would be OK with leaving the AI set up in the carpark.

Oh OK, I didnt spot that one on first look.
Using the Streetview on that corner I see what appears to be a paved way to the beach going through the trees.
That's good news, although there does seem to be a necessary decline to the water my Nephew will be able to help me pull the boat back.
I'm envious of your upcoming expedition, please Log in on your return for a report?