Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi All,

I've recently picked up a shiny new "yum-yum yellow" AI. A Kayak has been on my to-do list for a few years but way down the list. Never really saw anything that jumped out and said "oooo-yeah" - until I went to a large outdoor/camping/holiday show out at the local racecourse the other week. Right up the back was the Hobie display. These puppies at last jumped out at me!

I started doing heaps of research on the web and booked myself in for a demo sail at my closest Hobie dealer. About the best fun with your pants on I reckon :D Anyway, ended up back on the water while they got my AI ready and drove home with one. :D

Wasn't quite expecting to get one so fast so I've got a couple of logistics issues to sort out. I've built a rack along the fence to store it and today I've got to build a better cart to maneuver it around tight corners and parked cars. And finally I've got to build a side loader to get the thing up on the roof rack of the Discovery.

At last I get to see Sydney from the water!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome aboard Cowsgomoo. I remember the "oooh yeah" experience. You won't be disappointed. A bit of gratuitous advice: if you are new to sailing or kayaking, stick with the western reaches of the harbour till you get the hang of it. Sydney Harbour is really busy at the Eastern end and all those ships and ferries aren't going to get out of your way, even if you are under sail. I look forward to hearing your experiences.
Chris

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Congrats Moo,
Great choice of toy. I've had my AI for 2 months and have done 10 or eleven sails. Put in a 20 mile run today with Jollygreen out Hale'iwa,O'ahu. What a great day! Still haven't hooked into a good keeper fish yet... You're going to enjoy your Hobie, GUARANTEED! Be safe.
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to the club. Good choice of boat. Actually... for those of us who can see the potential and beauty of it, there is no other choice :?

http://www.macleanoutdoors.com.au
Hobie Factory Fishing Team
http://www.hobiefishing.com.au/fishing_teams/factory-team.html

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks guys.

Yes I intend to keep away from the busiest part of the harbour for awhile. I spent many years sailing my little Mirror class dingy down in Victoria many moons ago. It's still still stored down in Melbourne and unfortunately I've got no room to store a wooden boat in Sydney. I've also spent a few years on some of that larger shipping traffic plying the eastern end of Sydney Harbour and watched a few small boats and windsurfers causing anxiety on the bridge. Healthy respect is what's called for around there. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My apologies Cowsgomoo. You've obviously got a lot more experience than I do, both of sailing and of Sydney Harbour. My experience of the Harbour is mainly from racing sculls, in my (distant) youth.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
My apologies Cowsgomoo. You've obviously got a lot more experience than I do, both of sailing and of Sydney Harbour. My experience of the Harbour is mainly from racing sculls, in my (distant) youth.

We'll see how much I've fogotten. Bet I get taken by a shark first decent trip... :D

I even ordered a "yum yum yellow" hat today.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome Cowsgomoo!

We all remember that 'oh yeah' feeling. In fact, I still get it when I set off on the A1 with the wind in my face and perhaps, if I dream, some sunshine on my back.

It's a fantastic fun yoke. I named mine 'This'll do me' and that's an understatement.

I had reason to visit Sydney last year and went walkabout around that beautiful harbour. Apart from the ferries, a great place to go yakabout.

Enjoy!

Upyaboya

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some pics of my yak-rack (tarp off) and "high lift yak trolley"-

The trolley allows me to clear a number of items such as BBQ's, pot plants, and cars.... It's only used to get to and from the backyard and front driveway. The hull gets strapped down securely before moving btw...

My cunning plan for a special side loading ramp gizmo was a failure. Somtimes you just know when something isn't going to work. So I quit that while I was ahead. I ended up with the tried and tested "pole out the side of the roof rack".

Seems my major logistical issues are mostly solved for now. Not on call next weekend so I'm going to play.... :D
(bet it rains..... :? )

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very impressive work Cowsgomoo........clearly you're a handyman!

And as for rain, when did that ever stop anyone? No sunscreen required, no salt in the eyes, bursts of wind, and a clean sail!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mate, that's the biz. Might get you to knock up some racks for my trailer. Mates Rates of course. Just keep that side gate locked and the Bull Mastif hungry. If I did that round my way, it would be knocked off before I finished sand'n it.
Howz it going anyway. Are ya gett'n out much ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work CGM! 8)
Looks like you've changed the wheels on your cart?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well done,,i can't wait to get one myself,i have only seen one on the water here but it looks like a lot of fun.

The first thing i noticed is the wheels as well,,have you swapped them over for other ones from the local hardware store ? i read some where the Hobie ones are not rated high enough to hold the Adventure Island ? anyway cheers and good luck and i will look forward to your reports,,

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks guys. I assume the questions regarding wheels are about the black ones on the small cart? It's a custom build by the dealer. I believe they get them made local. I haven't compared them too close to the standard hobie one though.

Hopefully I'll give them a run over the weekend. Although now I may be getting a touch of the flu :cry: Still time to bounce back though.

Slaughter: No Bull Mastif, but we do have a scary black rabbit roaming about....

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am sure that you might head north and check out Pittwater, the Hawkesbury River, Lion Island, Patonga etc.

stevo