Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have searched and searched. How do I go about requesting the drive well strengthening kits? I have an Adventurer and a Revolution that have broken drive wells. I need to get these fixed before they get any worse.
Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:26 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
contact your dealer. once they are broken you can't fix them. your dealer will file a warranty claim

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Really, I thought this was fixable by the average owner using the kit? This is how both of them look. Are the Revolutions covered under the warranty for this, also? [img]http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/Joe_GA/?action=view&current=P4121825Small.jpg[/img]

Well, heck! I can't get the stinkin' pic to show.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

The Drive Well kit was designed as a preventive measure for the Outback and Adventure (Specific date range of manufacture) only. The Revolution is not effected and would not accept the kit. Contact your dealer and get us some details on the damage. We can then review and get back to your dealer on a solution.

All of the information about the kit is / was in our FAQ section until I tried to highlight the forum better... and accidentally deleted the content. I hope to recover the information and get it back up there by tomorrow.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:20 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Matt, tomorrow is Saturday, Monday is a holiday. Tuesday will be fast enough.....

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK, thanks guys. I guess I have two broken kayaks that have to go to the dealer. Only thing is, I bought the Revo used. :(

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:38 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Joe

Might not be a problem on the Revo depending on age. Why? Warranty goes with the hull, not the owner.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Didn't I read somewhere that the warranty was extended on this issue with the Adventurer? I bought my Adventurer on 8/6/2006. I hope I'm not screwed on this. I'm just amazed that Hobie built something so weak on an otherwise finely engineered kayak. And, I'm even more amazed that it has happened on the Revolution. Didn't they learn anything on the previous failures?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The kit applied to the '06 Adventures until they were modified at the factory. Those boats got a warranty extension if you or the dealer installed the kit. It sounds like you didn't.

If you're out of warranty on the Adventure, all is not lost. My '06 has been operating with repaired cam columns for a couple of years now and runs about 20 to 25 miles weekly with Turbofins and no pampering.

First file a warranty claim with your dealer and see what happens. If you end up having to reinforce the columns, it will depend on whether or not you have or need the longer cam bolts (part of the kit or factory upgrade) and what the cam columns look like. If you could post a picture from a similar perspective that would be helpful. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
The kit applied to the '06 Adventures until they were modified at the factory. Those boats got a warranty extension if you or the dealer installed the kit. It sounds like you didn't.

If you're out of warranty on the Adventure, all is not lost. My '06 has been operating with repaired cam columns for a couple of years now and runs about 20 to 25 miles weekly with Turbofins and no pampering.

First file a warranty claim with your dealer and see what happens. If you end up having to reinforce the columns, it will depend on whether or not you have or need the longer cam bolts (part of the kit or factory upgrade) and what the cam columns look like. If you could post a picture from a similar perspective that would be helpful. 8)

Roadrunner, is your boat 'white granite' color? If so do you have a picture of the outside. I'm considering going to look at an '06 white granite Adventure this weekend, but it's a bit of a drive, I've never seen one this color before and would be great if I could get an idea before I go, just dunno if I can handle it if it's too bright ...although visibility is good.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:44 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

OntarioNeil wrote:
I've never seen one this color before and would be great if I could get an idea before I go, just dunno if I can handle it if it's too bright

With Pleasure! The color looks white but had some blue flecks in it so it's not too bright -- nothing like snow white. No glare issues at all.

Here are a couple of shots with my daughter in it:

And a view from the cockpit:

Hope this works out well for you. IMO, great color, great boat! 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Roadrunner,

You are right, it does look very nice indeed, I've seen alot of Hobies, never seen one that color before tho, nice pictures.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Roadrunner! Thanks for the reply. Here is a picture of my left column. Unfortunately, it is upside down! Mine looks quiite a bit different from yours. BTW, the Adventurer and the Revolution are broken the same way and look alike. Strange, huh?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Actually somewhat similar:

My upper crack is near where yours is, indicating a high probability of yours being an early model '06. If so, you should still get and apply the free kit. It contains a fiberglass reinforcement for the nose of the drivewell with epoxy, sandpaper and instructions (see picture in earlier post). It also has two longer cam screws that will stabilize the area where your break is by extending the screw support beyond it. Note, this kit is specifically for the Adventure, not the Revo!

{To help identify your version, the later '06 models don't have the lip at the nose of the drivewell that you see in the earlier post. They have a second button hole on the bottom of the hull (as I recall) right in front of the drivewell and the longer cam screws already installed.)

For the reinforcement I used two applications. The first is 3M ScotchWeld DP 8010 and the second is almost the same but with a filler added -- DP 8010NS. 3M can tell you who sells it in your area. Each package runs about $20. It has a 6 month shelf life -- check the date on your product.

Tips on using it:

This is a 10:1 mixing ratio. You don't need the expensive special dispenser or mixer they might try to sell you. Get two different diameter dowels to use as plungers. Pre-mark the dowels to dispense about 1/2 batch at a time. Mix well with a stick.

Prep: medium sand the columns and the base around the columns. Clean everything with alcohol and let it dry.

You'll have about 5 minutes working time (they say 10 -- don't believe it). Have everything figured out and prepped before mixing. Concentrate on one column at a time, one column per batch, applied with double latex gloved fingers from the center hatch. Apply by feel but keep a mirror to inspect your work. Be in a ventilated or open area. Do a practice run before mixing.

Repeat the process on the other side with your next batch.

I did a second application with the NS version to add structure after the first application has cured.

I tried some pre-cut mesh for additional structure but made a mess of it and abandoned the idea. Didn't end up needing it anyway.

Finished product -- customized cam columns:
If anyone steals your boat you can identify it immediately!

I hoped for a year's service out of this. So far it's been over 2, well over 1000 miles and it shows no sign of failing. This boat does boat wake sprints that probably tore the cam columns apart in the first place. Amazing stuff! Let me know if you have any questions. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

(please disregard. I see Matt has now posted sufficient info in the FAQ section. I am relieved to see that my serial number falls outside of the range specified)