Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: rudder issue
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a different rudder issue.

Upon my first 'shakedown' cruise of the season I found that I had very little right rudder. Bucket loads of left rudder, but not right. Especially at low speed when not under strong sail power.

Slight right rudder, for staying on a line, is usually not a problem, but significant right rudder is.

I tightened up the spectra lines (not too much) and made sure there was even tension and that the rudder was properly centered etc.

No difference.

When under sail I can often get right rudder if I slam the rudder to the left first then return to the right. But much of the time I am using my paddle to augment right rudder.

I have the older rudder up/down system - but I have no indication that it is the problem.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got the new style rudder up/down system, but those are the exact symptoms I had until I started cleating the rudder down tight. Are you using the screw to lock the rudder down?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
I've got the new style rudder up/down system, but those are the exact symptoms I had until I started cleating the rudder down tight. Are you using the screw to lock the rudder down?

No I am not - I spend quite a bit of time in very shallow waters and have been concerned about grounding the rudder. But I'll try that next time out.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found that it was OK in light conditions, but would start to happen when things got a bit blowier, putting more stress on the rudder. When I had a close look, out on the water, I could see that the rudder was popping up slightly, just enough to restrict its excursion to starboard. I pass through shallow water a lot too, but not usually under sail when the wind is strong, so I uncleat the rudder under those circumstances. I gather that's not too easy with the older style rudder system. Perhaps an upgrade?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
I pass through shallow water a lot too, but not usually under sail when the wind is strong, so I uncleat the rudder under those circumstances. I gather that's not too easy with the older style rudder system. Perhaps an upgrade?
Yeah, it would require a stop and a swim with the older system.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually, with the older system, I used to move the handle just out of its detent position while in shallow water. I found that the rudder would indeed kick up easier once the handle was offset. Once I got into deep water, you have to ease the sails to release pressure. Then, swing the handle a little out and back to the detent position. You may have to wiggle the tiller handle a bit to get it to fully swing down.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If your rudder won't stay engaged in the detent position it's possible the Twist & Stow may be warped or it may be just loose at the pivot screw.

The current T&S has an internal detent that operates in conjunction with the upgrade kit -- am not sure if or how it might work with the older style handle, but replacement of the T&S unit might be an option if your old one is warped. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tightened down the rudder screw yesterday - and it did indeed solve the problem. Also got the rudder fouled with seaweed and ground in the bottom once - it popped loose without damaging the rudder or screw, so just don't tighten it down too much, eh?