Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback SUV sail kit
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Today I just got an outback SUV. It came with the sail kit. Loving it. However I need assistance with how to actually rig the sail. I got the sail on and post in the hole. The long elastic cord goes thru the hook where the back handle is and then WHAT? This is where I get lost in the directions. Anybody that can help walk me thru this I would really appreciate it. I do really good with step by step photos.
Thanks

Rose

Post subject: Re: Outback SUV sail kit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:47 am 
Hobie Team Member

I tend to mix up the proper sailing terminology so I'll skip that part.
Run the line from the sail to the rear pad eye (where the handle is) then forward to the cockpit. You use this line to control the sail.

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I have never actually sailed and wouldn't get it anyway.

So far that is all I know about how to run the string. When you get it to the front where do you put it. The directions say to put it through a hook thing and tie a knot so it doesn't slip. Where is that? And, I guess it is supposed to go up the right side??

Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:49 am 
Site Admin

The line can be run through a number of loops / eyes to hold it forward. Not important which one as long as the line is long enough to release the sail when need. I suggest the seat eye on the right side. Steer with the left hand. Hold the sheet with the right. Some people place a turning block at the rear eye strap (turning point) for less friction.

Basics for learning to sail: http://www.hobiecat.com/experience/learn.html

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi ya Dunny
If you add some hardware you can lock down the sail rope and have your hand free to eat a sammich. :)
Have fun
Kepnutz

or you can use another sail :wink:

or go back to one sail.

or back to both sails somewhere else.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Rose,
Here are some pointers on rigging the Hobie sail kit, using my Outback as an example. I made a few modifications to the basic Hobie rig, but you don’t really need these mods to sail—just follow the basic Hobie directions. But once you get some sailing experience, here are some things you might want to try.

Here is the Outback cockpit looking aft (towards the rear).

The mainsheet (line to the sail) loops up the port (left) side to the stern behind the seat, and then down the starboard (right) side. To make the mainsheet more responsive (i.e., to cut down friction in the system), I attached a Harken 16 mm block (pulley) to a SS carabiner that I had previously added to the stern handle eye strap (next pic).

The next thing I did was to add a West Marine cleat (red arrow) to the upper starboard side just ahead of the mid-ships handle (seen at upper right in the below pic). I then attached a SS shackle to this new cleat. The red arrow (above) shows the position of the new cleat (from West Marine). I then attached to this shackle a second Harken 16 mm block thru which I ran the mainsheet. You need to put a simple overhand knot in the end of the mainsheet so that it doesn’t come free of the block, in case it gets away from you (which it will!).

The Harken blocks tended to cut down the overall friction in the system markedly, and made the main sheet and sail more responsive so I could sail close-hauled and (hopefully) cut down the possibility of a quick gust putting the yak and me on our beam ends. This was one of the main motivations for building my outriggers for the Outback (below). You can rig the mainsheet either up or down thru the block--whichever way works best for you.

Overall, sailing the Outback (and our Sport) has been a blast. I have to say that a yak under sail certainly provokes a lot of stares from the CPBs (my name: "crazed power boaters") in the area, as well as the Hobie Cat sailors in the vicinity.

BTW, here is a link to how to construct your own outriggers. Hobie had not yet invented the Sidekicks when I began sailing and yaking, so some of us built our own.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1548

Best,
Dick