Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a rough time tacking my new Getaway in stiff winds alone. Seems to tack better with a heavy loads probably because of momentum. What am I doing wrong? I try and work the jib to pull her through but ending up in irons more times than enough.
Bob ...east of Toronto

Post subject: Tacking
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Tacking in higher winds or any wind requires speed to move through the tack. Sailing single handed you probably are limping along as you prepare to tack. You have to be able to get some speed up. Hike out and trim harder as you enter the tack. Keep the sheet tight till the boat gets head-to-wind. Release the main sail, but keep the jib sheeted. Let the jib backwind the bows across the wind. Allow the main sail to sheet out several feet so the boat does not weathervane back into the wind. Keep track of forward momentum, reverse the rudders if the boat begins to back down.

In any case get the bows well across onto the new tack before releasing the jib. Re-sheet the jib first and then the main. Ease the main in to get some forward speed and steerage before sheeting the main tighter.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Tacking a Getaway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, I find getting my main centered and my body centered and forward helps tremndously.

Post subject: Re: Tacking
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Release the main sail, but keep the jib sheeted. Let the jib backwind the bows across the wind. Allow the main sail to sheet out several feet so the boat does not weathervane back into the wind.

Matt - Can you please tell me what this means? I'm new to sailing & am having problems coming about. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As you are sailing and preparing to come head to wind (front of boat pointing into the wind, make sure you maintain as much speed as possible and that you are sailing upwind with both the main and jib sheeted tightly. The jib is cleated on the leward side (the downwind side). Begin tacking (turning around). Don't turn too abrubtly as this can stall the boat. As the boat comes around, ease the main sheet out however leave the jib cleated. As you pass head to wind, the jib will now be cleated on the windward side. Leave it cleated there to help 'pull' the boat around. The main should be released and flapping. Once the boat is COMPLETELY around, uncleat the jib from the windward side and cleat in its normal position on the leward side. It is important not to sheet in the main until the boat is completely around as this will just point the boat back into the wind (weathervaning or going into irons). The main trick with this boat is to keep it moving. Once stalled you are forced to back down (like backing up a car however using the ruddrs) to position the boat to get going again which is a little trickier.

P.S. I have raced high performance skiffs, echells, larger keel boats and have recreationally sailed numerous other boats including catamarans. The Getaway is a great, stable, roomy boat that I would strongly recommend to anyone. How many other boats can you be flying along in 15 knots of breeze with 6 people sipping cocktails?