Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Hobie Pro Angler; what does it have; what does it not have. What does it need? What comes standard with this kayak/boat; what doesn't? What are it biggest problems that need attention and fixing for maximum efficiency?

How is the easiest way to move this big dude around on land, and how is the best way to tranport it. Is there a trailer that will hold the Pro efficiently and well? I need equipment that can handle saltwater in the Gulf of Mexico.

I would appreciate all of your ideas and suggestions on what will make this a better kayak for me for fairly long range Gulf fishing.

I have read Sifisto's long, great post on his outfitting http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12594; has he left anything out.

And, I read another by steamroll: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12224

I also saw the thread about the Pro being flipped in the storm.

I think that, with the size of the Pro its and its hull structure, it is about as stable as a kayak can be, BUT if weather comes in, it still "ain't no match for no storm!" :shock:

Ideas, suggestions, rigging solutions, problems, I want to hear whatever you think about this kayak so mine will work as well as possible on the Gulf!!

Thanks y'all!!

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am not an authority on the PA like Roadrunner,Sifisto or some other members but I will comment on my limited knowledge since I've only had one for a couple of months. My Pa came with seat, Cart,Turbo mirage drive, dry bag, paddle and a few other goodies that i cant remember. The Livewell was extra. If you fish with live bait or do any tournaments you'll need a livewell. Im still waiting on my Eagle/cuda 350 fishfinder cause its backordered.
If you only transport it on hard surfaces or hard packed ground you can get by with the regular hobie scupper cart. I also have a KFS ultimate cart with pnuematic wheels that I use if I have to pull it long distances or through soft terrrain.
I transport it in the back of my pickup with a long bed no problem . I think steamroll has a cool looking yakima trailer that he uses.
The biggest problem with the PA is simply its a heavy SOB especially loaded down with all your gear and you have to cart it a long distance, But once it's in the water its a thing of beauty. You can move around unhampered, and u can have all the stuff you want. I mean you can load this beast down and take all your stuff No problem. Its really not a problem lifting it into the truck or even to car top as you can see in Roadrunners handling and performance posts.
I have only been out about a mile or so offshore and i dont go out in snotty stuff at all because I'm still new to kayaking so I can't comment on anything other than that.
Sifisto pretty much has his PA rigging down to an art so I would defer to his rigging.
As far as modifications, I think you pretty much got an idea from the afore-mentioned posts so you can take it from there.I think if you look over Roadrunners posts as well as Steamroll and Sifistos posts, they have probably answered all the questions you have. Hopefully one of the other members with more insight on the PA will chime in...Good Luck and Tight lines..............PC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:40 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Harold, here are some pics of some of the gear that's included. Note Turbofins also come with the boat standard. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11997

You also had some questions about weight and handling. This next thread talks about that and shows the weight of the various components: viewtopic.php?t=11990

And here are some photos on the water: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12032

Stability? recently I saw a PA sailing with a couple of other sailboats in some gusty winds and chop. One of the other boats capsized while the PA just lumbered along. Pedaling, it seemed to handle wind and chop without difficulty, but the wind moves it around more than your Outback because of the higher profile.

See if you can get a demo. If you do, try to include handling with wheels, and loading. I expected problems loading it on the roof rack and was quite surprised at how manageable it was. Wheeling the PA around (on a firm surface) should be no more difficult than with the Outback. As you load it with gear, you can balance it to suit. I rolled it in the water, wheels and all and pulled the wheels once floating. That way I didn't have to unload any gear. When reversing the procedure coming out, it took a little practice to locate the scupper holes "blind" but then worked fine. If you need to use the pneumatic tires like psychoclown, you can put some water in the tires to reduce buoyancy if necessary (a trick by Pirate, another forum member).

Your old cart will work with the PA, but the new version, with a wider stance is much more stable and has a nice locking pin on the top so you can remove the boat from your vehicle with wheels already attached. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, guys. I am also finding more and more posts on the Pro. I had looked yesterday, and found some, but this morning found more, including your's roadrunner, which I enjoyed, very informative, and the pictures really help.

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Harold, besides the steering issue'it's pretty out the box ready to go. I fish in somewhat nasty weather all the time, and this PA can handle it pretty well. I tend to keep the nose into the chop like any kayak, and the wind does move it around a little more than my Adventure and Sport; but it is very manageable.
The drain plugs under the seat can be baffling as to their design as far as placement, but with a little effort can be managed as well. Not an issue, but you asked as to improvements and this is one of them.
The PA handles the salt like a charm, and if you're use to other kayaks it's a step in the right direction. One thing I find hard to believe is how dry of a ride it is, I'm spoiled now.

As far as carts, the new KFS version cart with longer posts AND a set of Rolleze 30cm tires is or should be madatory; Hobie may be reluctant to warranty a blown out scupper hole otherwise with shorter cart posts.**** The KFS carts from last year have been re-designed with longer posts now...so your old KFS cart will not be sufficient on the PA. I now have both carts...not my choice, but out of necessity.

Transport if you have a pick up truck is simple, and much easier to load/unload than any other Hobie I own..because your not lifting it 100% off the ground. I'll be doing a youtube on this ASAP. Getting it on a roof rack will be a challange in my opinion.

I keep mine completely rigged all the time, add the rods before transport. When I'm ready to fish, the yak goes in the truck and is strapped in well under two minutes. If there's a ramp at the waters edge you can be fishing in the same time-frame as well; after you park your vehicle naturally.

I'd test drive one of these Harold first, then the decision will be a simple one. It's unlike anything out there, and is beyond ones expectations. Simply put, Hobie makes an outstanding product...and their product line is always getting better. The PA is a winner.

If you want additional photos of mine rigged, email me direct. [email protected]
Hope this helps. MJ.