Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone!

Have a delima here that I need your help with. We have a Hobie H16 and were trying to decide where to dock it. Here's the scoop.

Scenerio 1: Dock it at Highland Park Beach on Lake Michigan along with our friends H16. About a 1/2 hour drive from our house in Lake Zurich to the beach, but only about a 10 minute drive on my way home from work. (don't tell the wife!!!!) Then we can buzz up and down the coast, and there is certainly better wind on Lake Michigan.

Scenerio 2: Dock it on Lake Zurich which is a small, private lake in the northwest burbs which we live about a 1/2 mile from. Can be on the boat in about 5 minutes. But, less wind, smaller lake, and it's also private. So we cannot take out boat in and out, nor have our buddy bring his onto the lake so we can both play.

Both are about the same price for the dockage, so that really is not an issue, nor is the drive-time to Highland Park. Anyone that lives or knows Chicago, knows that it takes a 1/2 hour to cross the street sometimes, so to drive that is not a big deal. So it really boils down to; longer drive, more wind/sailing or no-drive and probably more limited sailing, but more sailing in general. Anyone ever been on Lake Zurich sailing? I know this is a pretty wide forum, but hey, it's worth a shot!

Thanks everyone!

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Go for the BIG lake man!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HAhaha!! Aye Captain, big lake I think it may be..... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail off of Lake St. in (gasp) Gary LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Flyin....

Did ya get out on the big lake yet this year? Also, do ya fly? Thought you might be a fellow pilot due to your screen name. I haven't been out this year yet...gotta get off my ass and refinish my EPO's... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have sailed out of Marquette Park by Gary Indiana and had a wonderful time,but that has been many many years ago...............sheet in...........Bill 404 21se
My family and I are wanting to try out Weko Beach in Bridgman Michigan in a couple weeks.Any comments on that location?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've driven up that way going to Benton Harbor to Wolf's Marine for parts. Never took a good look at the beach setup. Did you launch at Lake Street when you were in Gary? I have my boat stored about half a block from the launch ramp.

Post subject: weko beach
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, I have not sailed out of Weko beach but have launched my kayak there, it should be good for a hobie. They have a paved ramp to the water for launching boats and a nice sand beach right next to the paved ramp. I think it was $5:00 to use the ramp plus somthing to get in the park, not sure of the price since it was the off season when I have been there. They also have a tent camping area and a seperate Rv area, looked Ok for camping but nothing great . I hope to take the Hobie up there this year to sail, if you want some company when you go send me an e mail at my wifes address "joycekoontz at juno dot com" I hope to camp there a day or two and sail if there is wind, if not i will have my kayaks along...
Jay
79 H 16
98 H 18