Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It seems there is quite some enthusiasm over the new tramps.

Question about the fasteners.
Do these seem to stay tight once adjusted?
I feel the goal is to have a very tight trampoline to minimize any sag once a 140lb person lays on them.

I ask because my seat straps need constant adjustment because of slippage.
Do these tramp fasteners slip any?
Are you able to keep 'em tight?

Also, how wet does the passenger get in say in 12mph wind sitting on the winward side?

TIA

Yakaholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic wrote:
It seems there is quite some enthusiasm over the new tramps.

Question about the fasteners.
Do these seem to stay tight once adjusted?
I feel the goal is to have a very tight trampoline to minimize any sag once a 140lb person lays on them.

I ask because my seat straps need constant adjustment because of slippage.
Do these tramp fasteners slip any?
Are you able to keep 'em tight?

Also, how wet does the passenger get in say in 12mph wind sitting on the winward side?

TIA

Yakaholic

Hey Yak - I think we all experience the constant slippage of the seat straps. I guess it's a different subject but one worth rectifying.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:

Hey Yak - I think we all experience the constant slippage of the seat straps. I guess it's a different subject but one worth rectifying.

Mickey, I have fixed that by doubling the strap back through the buckle. Alternatively, you could try some tri-glide buckles. Have you got that damn GPS yet? If so, how is the magnifier working?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
mickeymouse wrote:

Mickey, I have fixed that by doubling the strap back through the buckle. Alternatively, you could try some tri-glide buckles. Have you got that damn GPS yet? If so, how is the magnifier working?

Hi Chris - yeah I thought there'd be a simple solution - I just don't think about it until I'm on the water! Guess I'll add it to my list of things to do - along with installing the mount for the GPS! I installed free NZ maps & took it to NZ and played with it but haven't set it up on the yak yet so I really can't tell you how well the magnifyer works. I guess it will depend on how I mount it - particularly the distance of the screen relative to my eyes. I seem to recall you mounted yours on a RAM mount but am not entirely sure where :? Have you got a photo??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There you go Mickey. I fitted a RAM ball in front of the pocket so I could attach my sprayshield. You can also get a mount that slips into the drink holder, I believe, or one that clamps onto the aka.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Chris :D
That looks like a good spot and dual functionality - I'll do the same and WILL let you know about the magnifyer when I've given it a go. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get the longer arm for the RAM mount. Also, if you don't store or carry your boat inverted, you can place the ball vertically on the gunwale, instead of horizontally as I did.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yakaholic wrote:
Question about the fasteners. Do these seem to stay tight once adjusted?
I don't remember the tramp buckles having a problem loosening up per say. The material has some give to it though, so if you stand for instance, you're feet will get wet. But it seems to have a good memory. This is just based on a few times though and I couldn't say about any long term stretch or give.

Quote:
Anything below 13.2 is dry as long as you're under 127.6 lb. Seriously, IMO it's not the wind but the chop. You can't go far around here without crossing a boat wake at least, and you can easily get a wet backside from it on the tramp. It depends a little about where and how you're sitting. But then, I'm a little over 140#. I don't think you can sit that close to the water and expect a totally dry ride on the tramp.8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Roadrunner

My main concern was not to have a passenger continually sitting in water because of either tramp stretch or straps slipping. It stands to reason that some splash and spray are inevitable - hey It's an Island right :)

I doubt any passenger riding on the tramp in 20+knt winds will feel at all comfortable as it is not like sitting in the main seat. Just fishing for what limits people have put the tramps through and weighing what is practical.

It also seems like all one need do now is somehow add a backrest for the tramp area to make it more comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wrote a review on the tramps (as a fishing accessory) for Hobiefishing.com.au (Hobie's Aussie yak fishing site), which I thought I might share here:

When Hobie first announced the inclusion of the new Island tramps to their range of accessories at first I wasn't sure how much benefit they might provide for an Island kayak fisherman. It doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to assume that they would be beneficial for optimal sailing - indeed, this is their primary purpose (allowing the user to hike out onto the tramp for improved weight distribution). At the time of writing I'm yet to test that out due to poor sailing conditions. But despite fairly average fishing conditions, I have tested them out extensively while kayak fishing over the past few weekends and have concluded that they most certainly do offer a lot of utility for a fisherman.

However it was matters of safety and convenience that first inspired me to upgrade. Whilst pedalling along with the Island configured as an outrigger kayak (single ama only) several weeks back I took a lazy approach back to my landing ground at Woody Head, electing to come in through the surf boundaries instead of around them. A brief moment of hesitation passed over me as I considered the best way to tackle an incoming wave, which looked certain to break right on cue. That hesitation allowed the wave to catch me unprepared. Although it wasn't terribly big the wave did hit at full force, breaking right over the yak, swinging it onto its side and almost causing it to capsize. Had I not quickly leaned over and put weight on the ama, I would have flipped out for sure. This happened twice.

Both times I was able to keep the yak upright, although when leaning out to bear weight on the ama I almost missed a hand hold, and very nearly fell out between it and the hull. It was there and then that I realised that having a tramp in place would have made it a much safer, more natural and easier action to perform. When I arrived at work the following day the very first thing I did was order a set of black tramps (also available in grey).

Upon receiving the tramps the first thing I noticed was the quality of the materials used. The tramp fabric itself is a heavy duty woven PVC, which is both highly durable and also completely corrosion resistant. It's not the sort of fabric that deteriorates in any hurry. It's construction also includes heavy duty webbing straps, high quality snap buckles, a fibreglass support pole (for even tension at the rear) and a few bungee loops. The forward edge of the tramp is formed into a wide sleeve, which is where the forward aka is fed into. Once fitted to the front aka, it's then just a simple matter of attaching the rear edge to the rear aka. This is done by clipping it over the aka tube with length-adjustable webbing straps that lock into place using snap buckles. With all five webbing straps pulled in tightly the tramp is surprisingly taught.
Installing the tramps is as easy as that. When packing them up it's simply a matter of un-clipping the buckles and rolling the tramp up to the forward aka. There are 2 bungee loops designed to wrap around the rolled tramp that hold it in place nicely. The amas can be folded forward or back with the tramp rolled up, although not with it fully attached. I wasn't sure if this would be a problem or not, but as it turns out, it really isn't. The various scenarios in which folding the amas can otherwise be useful (for me that's either landing a fish or accessing my video camera) have become a moot point. Its just as easy (easier) to just climb out onto the tramp itself.
Indeed, the ability to do this is one of the qualities that I have very quickly learned to love about the tramps. When drift fishing it's quite a refreshing change to sit back on the tramp and dangle a line over the ama. Whilst doing this does mean getting a bit of a wet backside in choppier water, it would be a great way to cool off in summer. The tramps are rated to support a load of around 200lbs, so they can take a lot of weight. So much so that it would be possible to take out a friend or pet for a ride as well, providing the over all load doesn't exceed the boats load carrying capacity. The ability to carry so much weight also makes it an extremely useful accessory for kayak camping ventures. I have an 80 litre drybag that I intend to fill with camping kit (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, food, extra clothes, etc) that I plan to use for a kayak camping trip next weekend and have absolutely no doubts that the tramp will carry the load easily. To be able to store it so easily is very convenient indeed.
An unexpected (but obvious) advantage that came to me almost as soon as I started using it is the extra deck space it affords. Desk space is premium real estate on any kayak, but a single tramp adds an extra 12 square feet, all of it conveniently positioned right next to you. Prior to adding the tramps, almost every task I've ever had to perform on a kayak, I've had to do between my legs. Not now that I'm using tramps, however. If I want to sort through my tackle box or safety kit I can now do it on the tramp, allowing me to spread things out more. I also find the tramp very handy for tying on leaders and re-rigging rods. Its simply easier to do when you have more space to work with. I'm yet to land a big fish while using the tramp, but am certainly looking forward to the luxury of de-hooking a metre+ long tuna from upon the tramp(as opposed to between my legs).
Finally, there is another instantly noticable advantage of having the tramps installed, which is that they help to keep the deck a lot drier. They are very effective at shielding away inadvertent splashing caused when the amas bounce around on the water. Not only does this help to keep me drier, it also helps to keep my reels and camera a lot drier as well. This will help preserve the shelf life of these (rather expensive) items significantly, making the tramps a great investment in gear maintenance as well.

So by introducing the tramps into the mix, Hobie have added dimensions to the functionality of the Island. Not only will the tramps allow for enhanced sailing in high winds, they are also extremely versatile as a load-bearing platform and can be used as such in a variety of ways. When I stop to think about it, I can't imagine many usage scenarios where the tramp wouldn't prove to be useful. If you own an Island, or are planning to become part of the Island club, be sure to look closely at the tramps. They are the sort of product that you will continue to appreciate long after you've forgotten how much you paid to get it.
Yes... you can stand up on them... but it does feel a bit wobbly under-foot.

http://www.macleanoutdoors.com.au
Hobie Factory Fishing Team
http://www.hobiefishing.com.au/fishing_teams/factory-team.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great report Josh - as usual :D.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent write up 5thofNovember. I agree they let you spread right out comfortably. Just have to watch out for slop coming up from below.

I've been trying to think of ways of putting extra straps with velcro pads so I can restrict things things sliding about if required.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great report!

I use a homemade 1/2 wide trampoline on one side for fishing, and I wouldn't want to go back to fishing without one.

On the "restricting things" problem, besides pockets, I ran a line down the tramp which I clip all my gear boxes to so they won't leave suddenly.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=10695&highlight=

I'm now looking at Hobie's trampolines because they are so well made and versatile.

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can recommend the tramps as a useful accessory that greatly increases the AI's versatility! 8)
Adding to what has already been said they make it easy for a disabled person like my mate Jason to enter and exit by sliding over the tramp and avoiding the aka which are difficult to step over, especially on a slippery boat ramp.
Rafting up on the open water is much easier:

Here is some video sailing the AI out on the port tramp where the tiller can easily be reached. Great fun in Summer with warm water! :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVM3xH52Edw

PS- Hobie, as an alternative to a tiller extension why not add another tiller control on the starboard side? A dual sided tiller would be quite useful IMHO! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, OK, I think you have all confinced me that I need tramps, especially after seing Stringy hav'n a bit of a snooze on the side with some romantic music and a nice little Shiraz. Can you buy just 1. Is 2 really necessary ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next