Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've managed 2 trips now with the AI. Last weekend was Iron Cove to Cockatoo Island in the rain. Landed at one of the slipways just because I could. Good spot for a BBQ if anyone's interested. Gentle breezes except on the east side of Cockatoo. Got a bit choppy around here too from all the ferries and traffic on the Parramatta River so a good breeze was helpful to keep out of their way.

This weekend just gone I launched from Balmoral Beach and sailed up to Manly via the small bays between North Head and Manly. Great to be able to slip between all those big flash boats and get right in close to shore. The Mirage drive made it simple if the wind dropped in the sheltered bays. You can always keep moving.
I ended up right up near the Manly ferry wharf where there was very little breeze and crystal clear still water around the moored boats. Have to keep a good eye open around here for ferries coming and going but there are good gaps in between runs.

On the way back I stopped off at Reef Beach on the north side of Dobroyd Head. I had stowed my lunch on the forward hatch and though it better to stop before opening it rather than risk copping a wave over the bow at an inappropriate moment. Lunch liberated, I did a gentle sail with cheese and bacon rolls in hand past the rock fishermen and back into Middle Harbour.

The wind picked up as I tacked back to Balmoral beach. I had a play with trimming the sail under these conditions. The AI tried rounding up into the wind until I let the sail out a little. I found trimming can really change how the AI performs when the wind is up.

I keep getting stopped by people wanting to know more about the AI. Even got chased down by a bloke in an inflatable from a 40ft yacht wanting to know more :D

By the way, I changed my telltails on the sail for a set of Ronstan jobbies. Found they don't get caught up like the original ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds great CGM. You've got me thinking about sailing on the Harbour since you first joined the forum. I was thinking of launching from either Iron Cove or Rose Bay. Didn't know you could launch from Balmoral. I get down to Sydney on alternate weekends, so I might run into you sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rose Bay could be interesting. Got lots of little bays and islands to check out. Just have to make sure you don't get landed on by a sea plane :shock:

If you give me some warning I can try not to be on call for work. Any good places to launch from?

At Balmoral I launched from the end near the sailing club. I'm not sure if I missed where the free parking is (was) but where I parked cost $16 for 4 hours or more. They were putting in new meters somewhere there and was a bit of a fuss on the news about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rose Bay has a boat ramp (and free parking). From my chart, it looks like the part of the bay where the flying boats land is a no go area for boats (makes sense :wink: ). Yeah, it costs a motza to park at Balmoral - I go there for lunch sometimes. I'll let you know next time I can make it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey CGM, are you free at all this weekend? I have to go to Sydney either Saturday or Sunday, so will likely go for a sail while I'm there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Damn! I've just arranged to be on call this weekend as I have overdue computer building and birthday present organising for family members stuff to complete. I've kind of put them off since I started playing with the AI....

I might be able to make if Sunday if I get my act together tomorrow and ring some of the guys from work to make sure they're around.

Were you thinking of Rose Bay?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sure, Rose Bay would be fine. I'm happy to make it Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunatly not going to be able to make it this time. The guys all made plans after I volunteered to be the on-call bunny for the weekend. :(

Let me know next time you're about and we'll try again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No problem :). Have a good weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Chris, did you end up going out for a sail? Pretty dismal weather.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nah, I've had a cold for a couple of days and it looked pretty miserable out, so I thought I'd wait for one of those beautiful clear sunny winter days (like we had today :cry: ). I'll stay in touch :).