Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Man that's a beautiful picture Bob !!! Hobie should buy it from you for their marketing department.

I'll try reefing next time that happens. That's one thing I didn't try as the wind didn't feel that strong to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim, I presume you had the rudder cleated or locked down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yeah Chris I always crank it down as tight as I can.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, that was a keeper. :D

I find if I take a lot of pic's out there, a few really good ones come through.

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob, You previously sent me the above picture in high res. and is now printed and framed and proudly displayed in my hallway these days. Mind you I have doctored it slightly to change the hull colour to red like my own :wink: and have given it a painted look with a laquer top coat. It looks to all intent and purpose to look like a painting and is indeed a great shot to work from...Pirate :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RED! :shock: Shiver me timbers! You, you... Pirate!
Glad you're enjoying it.

I enjoy reading of your exploits here, too.

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shiver me timbers is spot on Bob!!!!..We are in Winter which in East Gippsland translates generally to nice sunny though mild 60 to 65 degree days and 32 to 40 degree dawns. Brrrrr. as I look out my study window her at 0830 hours and it is still cold though brightened by a beautiful blue sky.

I am this morning off to Paynesville by the Gippsland Lakes and across to Raymond Island to help a friend with some furniture he is building. I have just had a modified hybrid of your AI skirts and Hobie tramps built by a local upholsterer and am keen to try them out for the first time. I intend to stow Jindabyne Gypsy on the roof racks and take some time during the day to go sailing with the new skirts in place. I am hoping to stay dryer than I have been in the past so make Winter sailing even more enjoyable. Might even get a pic or two for the forum....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FloridaRobot wrote:
I've used the new AI tramps with my wife as a passenger about a half dozen times and I love having her next to me when we're out on the water. Something I noticed is if she is on the leeward trampoline the rudder can be very difficult to control. Sometimes it renders the rudder completely ineffective. It's our typical AI rudder problem magnified tenfold. However if she moves over to the windward tramp the problem goes away and I feel a performance improvement. I realize when an ama is digging into the water it acts like a rudder to turn the boat. But it can screw up the already so-so AI rudder performance.

My big wish is for the new models of the AI have a re-engineered rudder. If not, I need to figure out how to build a simple tiller/rudder for my AI. Plus I'm getting weary of constantly working that thumb drive. I'm not complaining ... just hoping ... wishing .....

:?:
Could this be solved/alleviated by getting your passenger to swap sides every Tack so they are always on the windward side?
(My passenger is light.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes Max, moving to the windward side helps. You probably missed that sentence in my original post
Quote:
However if she moves over to the windward tramp the problem goes away and I feel a performance improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FloridaRobot wrote:
Yes Max, moving to the windward side helps. You probably missed that sentence in my original post
Quote:
However if she moves over to the windward tramp the problem goes away and I feel a performance improvement.

Yes, I read that and understood you, so I thought OK any passenger I take will just have to be capable of swapping sides just like many small boats.
Then I wondered what this really entailed, I guess even big people should be able to manage it but if you need to Tack a lot they might get bored with clambering over you after awhile, Did your passenger change sides many times and did it seem awkward or tiring for her?
No prob if you are young-ish, but maybe not a relaxing cruise for the older?

Thinking about it now I am wondering what exactly did Hobie intend these Tramps to be used for, passengers, spray minimisation, stowing extra gear, all of the above?
I was enthusiastic about the Tramps at first but now thinking of these real issues, extra setup time, extra time/work needed to unclip the mesh to fold the AMA for docking, (plus roll it up 'cos you can't just leave it dangling when you jetty-fold), lack of Tiller Extension, extra weight to pull up the beach, extra time & work to right a capsize, maybe I will wait awhile and see what a few more ppl report before spending those hundreds of dollars.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So Jim, if the passenger rides on the starboard tramp, couldn't you sit out on the port tramp when the wind was coming from the port side? You could still reach the rudder lever. You wouldn't be able to pedal, but I gather the problem arises when there is a reasonable amount of wind anyway. Also, the passenger could always slip into the seat while you were out on the port tramp and they could take over the pedalling.

Max, I'm holding off getting a tramp too, but the ability to carry a passenger is obviously of great importance to a lot of people, as evidenced by the interest in the tandem AI. It sounds pretty useful if you are into fishing too. I'm a vegetarian with a sprayshield and a wife who's scared of the water, so I don't have a lot of use for a tramp either at this stage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey and I decided that a full tramp set-up would prevent any paddling and be of limited benefit in that format so we decided to go it alone and get some built. We got them yesterday but Mickey is out of action with the flu (he claims it isn't the Swine variety) so I went out solo for a first try today. I found I could sit out and even stand on them as they are out of the same type of tramp material. It will be a great location for the sheets rather than around the legs and large enough to carry stuff with two large pockets built in. I didn't have any expectation to be carrying passengers though I can see it will be great to be able to get the grandkids on board. I am also expecting it to keep me a bit dryer in the windier weather though there was little of that today to test it. Anyway first impressions are very positive and I think we will be using them often when sailing. Come on you woos Mickey. The Gippsland Lakes are just the thing to fix the flu...Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Max I hear you about switching from side to side when you're not as young and limber as you once were. It was a little awkward switching and then the paddle was in the way so i had to be careful so it didn't fall in the water. Several times I thought it would be nice to have paddle holders on both sides. But deploying and rolling up the tramps on the water aren't too difficult to accomplish if you needed to pull in an aka for docking. The tramps are definitely a worthwhile investment in my opinion and I'll continue to use mine and work around the rudder issue.

Chris the scenario you spoke of could work. I've crawled out onto a tramp a few times already but I prefer being in the seat while underway.

Looks good Pirate. I see you have one of those "faster" red AI's :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate, Very Nicely done!
Nice lines.

More pic's please. I may need to work on one too.

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well done Pirate! It looks like you might be on to something there. You probably get better splash protection than with the standard tramp, plus somewhere for a passenger to sit, while retaining at least some capacity for paddling.

Last edited by chrisj on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next