Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am getting ready to drill my new rudders and I found the old ones are nowhere near where the template would have me drill them. The front hole is about 3/8" below and 1/8" forward of the template and the rear is about 1/8" below and 1/8" forward of the template.

The online adjustment guides suggest 1-5/8 to 1-3/4" rake is a good range. It is unclear, but I think that may be for the 16. With my old damaged rudders drilled where they are, the max rake I can get is about 1-1/4" and that leaves a fair amount of weather helm. It appears the H21SC manual states the factory setting is targetting 1-1/8", which seems not to be enough.

I am planning to ignore the template, clamp the rudders in the castings at a position that would allow up to 1-3/4" rake, and drill them through the castings.

Any advice? What do you think the usefull range of rake adjustment ought to be?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Since you have a known weather helm issue. I think you are safe to move the lower hole forward of the original rudder location. Clamp and compare the two blades. Mark the hole forward and check the fit in the castings for the desired rake. Check the upper casting that it can fit in the up and down positions. Drill the lower and mount. Adjust the upper casting plate to a middle position and tighten, this will give you some adjustment after drilling and mounting the rudder. Use the upper castings as a drill guide for the upper hole location. Check the rudder up and down positions to be sure the rudder is held up at the correct (equal to opposite side too) position.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. This sounds like a workable solution. I like the simplicity of drilling at the template locations, but I am sure this will give me a much more desirable end result.