Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are taking our Hobie out this weekend to New Smyrna Beach for our first sail. We are unsure how to launch it in order not to get our truck stuck. (no 4X4). We are also unsure how to get it back on the trailer. Any advise would be GREAT!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We need some details.
Are you launching from a ramp or are you going to take your cat for a walk down the beach? If you do walk/drag the cat do you have cat trax? From the way you worded your question I'm guessing you dont have em.

have fun on your maden voyage though!! fly a hull for us!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We will be launching right from the beach with no ramp. We do not have the trax either. Is it light enough to pull down to the water?
Thanks again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just had an idea (yes guys, another one.....).

Your cat should be somewhere in the neighbor hood of 300 pounds. An awkward 300 pounds but relitavely light given its size.

Here is my idea slash possibly your solution.

Some 150 years ago they moved my house from an island to its present location. The island was a civil war yankee quarenteen station. With the end of the war they had no further use for the ststion on the island but decided to move the buildings to the mainland. "How?" you ask. LOGS. they lifted the house slid logs under it and rolled the house on a waiting barge and repeted the process in reverse here at port penn.

So go to a plumbing supply store, get 2 or up to 4 pices of PVC pipe, wide enough to span the beam of your boat plus a few feet so the boat does not roll off. Keep this in mind the smaller diamiter pipe you use the easier it will sink into the sand so I'm guessing 6" to 8" x 10 'pipe should do the trick. good luck and please do come back and tell us if you do try it how it works.

Oh trax are expincive unless you can find eem on E-bay or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You certainly SHOULD be able to pull it down to the water, but if you can I'd recommend either launching off a nearby ramp or backing the trailer down to the water's edge on the beach if you think your vehicle can accomplish that.

On the other hand, if you're going somewhere that has a lot of Hobie sailors, there may be a set of CatTrax you can *borrow*. My experience is that Hobie sailors are extremely friendly and will lend their Trax out without hesitation. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Gymnastjudge

rwehuman is right...the log approach works. I used to use it before I bought beach wheels. Its relatively cheap, easy to ready..but there are some issues. The biggest problem is...these pipes get VERY heavy as you go to larger diameters. That makes trailering and carrying them around an issue. You will also feel like you are a slave hauling rocks up to build the Egyptian pyramids...runnning pipes that come out the back an put them on the front again.

But if you want to pursue...

[list=]rwehuman is right, you need to make sure you have large diameter pipe, especially if the sand is at all soft - which it sounds like it is since you are concerned about getting a vehicle stuck. Mine was about 6 inches, but you will need to look at your beach. But watch out...these get heavy!

You will need at least 3 pipes. 2 won't work to keep it moving.

10 ft is a good length to give you plenty of clearance (its also a nice round number :) )

This method works best if you aren't carrying it over a very large beach as its pretty labor intensive.
[/list]

Overall, My suggestion is invest in the beach wheels or make a set your self. The "Logs" will work, but after getting a set of wheels myself...the logs sit under the deck now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think that driving is allowed on New Smyrna Beach, isn't it? If so, simply unhook the trailer from the vehicle and walk the trailer to the water's edge. Then drop the boat off and take the trailer back to the car (which will be parked by the dunes). Its pretty easy since the sand has almost no slope and is packed really hard. We use our hobie off St. Augustine and put it this way all the time. I wouldn't try it at noon on the Fourth of July, but as long as you get there early you'll be able to navigate across the beach easily. If this is the first time you are sailing your boat and are going to give it a go at the beach, it might be a good idea to have someone on the beach when you are coming in that can ask people to move out of the way. People will just stand there and expect that you will be able to avoid them, when you really are sort of out of control once you catch a wave in the breakers. Just be careful.