Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigging a used 16 Hobie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a used 16 Hobie from a boat dealer with no instructions on how to rig it. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer. How much rake should there be on the mast without any sails up and how tight should the shrouds be, again with out sails up. I have looked at quite a few Hobies and the shrouds look awful loose :?: Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The dealer should have spent 20 minutes with you going over rigging the boat. First the rig doesn't tighten up until the jib is up and tight, most sailors like to put the side stays in the lowest hole so the boat will perform better. With the jib up the 3 shrouds should be fairly tight. Just make sure you have a mast bearing under the mast or the mast will not turn. After you have the rig up and tight you should be able to rotate the mast back and fourth by hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 2 Shrouds (Side stays), should be fairly tight (Except for the leward (Side the sail is filled on, or the opposit side you are sitting on), should be a little loose, as the windward side stay takes all the weight of the mast, (Unless you are trapped out in light air, in which case you become the windward stay LOL).

I and several other racers have our side stay's in the third whole down.

A quick correction on Roy's post. Not all three shrouds should be tight, ONLY the side stays. When you raise the jib, the jib luff cable, and jib halyward take over for the forestay, and tighten up the rest of the rig. The forestay should be pretty slack.

Brent
H-16 #13566

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In a addition to Roy and Brent's information there is a bit of a process that I tried to recreate from memory that may be useful to you when setting the mast. My dealer taught it to me a LONG time ago:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... highlight=

After you complete that process of setting the main, then set the jib. The forestay will have a belly of 2 to 4 inches of slack. In other words the Jib halyard and luff cable become your forestay as Brent said. The reason you want this tight is for maximum upwind performance. You do not want the leading edge to fall off to leeward. Sailing physics dictate that you are not being "blown" upwind, you are being "pulled" upwind by an airfoil, therefore the better your airfoil (jib) is shaped the more lift you get. 8)

Note, no matter how tight your sides are set, the leeward shroud will always get slack under load. Mainly because you and I can't exert nearly the amount of pressure that mother nature can. :shock:

Post subject: How to?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

How to?

Be sure to check the support area and the FAQ o\area of this forum. The Hobie 16 manual is available in a pdf in the support area. Lots of other info is covered in the FAQs.

Assembly Manual: http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/H16_Manual.pdf

FAQs: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewforum.php?f=18

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)