Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,
This is my second year on an AI and I am spending way too much time on it. I think I am bordering on obsession. It's difficult to conduct a normal conversation without subconsciously steering the topic around to my boat. ("...do you live on the water..?" "...do you have a boat...?" "...have you ever heard of the adventure island...?" (too soon?)). I am seriously in danger of boring myself.
As a second consequence, I spend way too much time in the sun. It's Florida, the rain shine state, and skin cancer is real. I wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, a stupid floppy hat, and don't even try to pick up chicks (pointless, my wife agrees).
So, for those in the same predicament, this sun shade will help:
Update: all my links are now broken. Fortunately, kayakingbob preserved it in a picture under the "bimini" thread. Its the red shaded that stretches across the amas.

Last edited by Surfoos on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good God, you've been busy! :shock: :shock:

Magnificent sunshade and website.
That's going to take me a while to go through it all. I'm sure to pick up some great tips.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, that's a seriously cool looking bimini. They usually look so awkward. I'm impressed. Do you think shadecloth would be an appropriate material? What kind of seat is that?

Last edited by chrisj on Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks cowsgomoo, chrisj...
busy sounds better than obsessed. thanks.
chrisj; not sure what shade cloth is, but will it absord water? That would be bad. Rip stop is typical light tent and parachute material. Cheap way out would be to cut up an old tent from a thrift shop... or steal someone's parachute.

The seat is really nice. My first complaint when I got the boat was that I had to hold my head up. It was exhausting. This rig provides tons of back support, plus, a head rest (see video at end of sun shade post). It's basically a chopped down short legged aluminum beach chair with some PVC fittings. I cut off the leg support part of the chair and mounted it on top for a sort of mini-bimini that swings up for shade and down when when the wind picks up. Of course I have a solid model and drawings (can you say anal?). I will post it soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Would love to see more photos of the seat. With drainage and peg holes available it should be easy to anchor something solid. Nice idea for the shade as well!
Whats it like sailing in Florida waters? Any concern about sharks ? Do you use the tramps for protection?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where does one purchase such a cool looking bimini Surfoos & is it as efffective as it looks in keeping the sun off you?...Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its very effective Pirate. If Aledal says it is then -well-it is what it is.Trust me.Its like reading the new testament. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Greg - nice website and great ideas 8)
I've added you to my favourites :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aledal wrote:
Its very effective Pirate. If Aledal says it is then -well-it is what it is.Trust me.Its like reading the new testament. :shock:

I told you to keep off the Beetle Nuts Aledal but you just don't want to follow old Pirate's good advice.. ya bastard....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good advice folks. Thanks for putting up with me. I`m working on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pirate: Aledal on the Beetle nuts? I could only hope you meant Betel nuts: Fruit of the areca palm (Areca catechu), which is chewed together with lime and betel pepper as a stimulant by peoples of the East and Papua New Guinea. Chewing it blackens the teeth and stains the mouth deep red, if my memory serves me correctly (i.e. google, ctrl-c, ctrl-v). Anyone got a picture of Aledal?

Aledal: Sharks, yes and no. A friend of mine’s fishing boat was attacked by a large bull shark just off the beach of the gulf, right about where the second video on my web site was taken. It rammed and gnawed on the boat several times. It seemed really mad. Which makes me think - the AI provides an intimacy with the water that may not always be desirable. On the other had, I have surfed the area for 30 years and have not hardly been bit once.

Pirate: Purchase a shade? I had dreams of quitting my day job someday and making shades for a living. Maybe I just bought the wrong get rich quick video, but it’s a lot harder that I thought. Revision one-dot-oh has a lot of details that need cleaning up. The biggest is the installation time versus high wind limitations. Like any tent, it takes some time to deal with the poles and the fabric; and if you are far from shore, in deep water, and you do not have the tramps installed, you could be in a predicament if a storm kicked up. Without the tramps, you need to be in the water to take it down. With the tramps, it takes about 2 minutes; but in high winds, that’s two minutes without anyone at the helm.

Aledal: The seat is actually attached to the back crossbar by a rope. This provides a very rigid constraint that does not stress the boat and allows for front to back adjustment. Details soon.

Surfoos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks man. I`m trying to keep up with you guys. But I admit I`ve been Fostering myself watching the Horatio Hornblower series of events.
I will recover in the name of Our Lord And Saviouress.

Mary Magdoline.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aledal Betel....mmmm...it rymes (thanks for the correction Surfoos)
And Surfoos thanks for your info and remarks re the sunshade. Everything is compromise in this world....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mmmmmm ... beetle nuts ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BlueMark wrote:

Mmmmmm ... beetle nuts ...

Yummo, looks very crunchy. I guess you can always use their little legs as toothpicks... :D