Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:05 pm 
Hobie Team Member

So I was wheeling my Pro Angler down to the water and bam, one tire went flat. I look it over real good and it wore it self down and busted below the air stem. It was wearing down between the rim and the stem. I have noticed ever since having those wheels that on smooth hard surfaces it seems as if you were rolling over bumps, which turns out with the weight of the PA just about flattening the tires and not being able to put any more air in them(b/c it will void warranty) it rides the rim of the stem onto the rim for the tire and wears the rubber down till it breaks at the bottom of the stem. Upon investigating this I noticed the max weight capacity is 77lbs per tire. So just the PA alone is pretty darn close to maxing those tires out. If put anything else in your PA then tires aren't meant to handle it. Has anyone else had this problem. I have only used the cart probably 8-10 times. I took the tire off and to my local dealer and they exchanged it no problem. Thanks,

Tony,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The dealer where i bought my P/A convinced me not to use the inflatable ones because of the weight.
i am thinking of finding some tire type wheels, and putting them on the frame, as i am in sand a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

The tires should handle the weight.. up to the described 77 lbs per tire / 154 lbs per cart without issue. These tires do have issues with pinching the valve when loaded and under pressure... and the pressure is hard to set. If wheeleez can design a better tire, we would switch.

FYI... The standard cart with spoke wheels has a heavier capacity.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been using the wheeleze 30cm wheels on a KFS cart with extended scupper hole masts. I've been over big roots ,dunes,and RR ties without an issue towing the PA. I did have a wheel replaced under warranty recently through KFS because it leaked air mysteriously overnight under zero pressure from weight. My new tire handles just fine. You've bought the best there is on both fronts from the yak to the cart/wheels. It's a minor hurdle to get over, but you'll have this one solved before too long. Strange thing about the mystery air leak, even with the soap and water trick there were no bubbles.Very strange indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

get the kfs cart with pnuematic tires. works on rugged terrain as well as sand. very tough and you can easily add or release pressure with a small bike pump.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

have the cart with spokes and they broke with latteral pressure with loaded PA went with a non hobie cart, c-tug. with the PA loaded it's just got to be a matter of time before something gives around the scupper holes even with the new buffers. by the way I had tennis balls over the stems to give a bit of a cushion.