Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 21SE righting lines
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I know I am probably beating an old horse wtih this topic again, but....the linked PICTURE sequence shows Eric righting his 16 with a water bag and has me thinking. :?

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9728

I have not flipped my 21SE yet and would like comments. I have a righting line rigged like Eric's and I have a righting bag, but I do not have the ability to place this righting line over the hull because the tramp is flush with the deck. This would only allow me to pull from the inside edge of the hull from the cross bars instead of over the top and outside of the hulls. How much less leverage do I have by not pulling from the top, outside, of the hulls??? Should I have other righting lines and/or pulling points for the crew?

I have a large righting bag and other than crew weight, is there any other suggested items to have on the boat for righting?
I see that Eric is still in a dry suit up here in the northwest. Our water has warmed up a bit where I am that I am now ready to practice righting the boat myself.

Post subject: Re: 21SE righting lines
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Though I have not tested them, I have two lenghs of line tied off to each end of each wing and have a 12" piece of PVC tied off to the other end. The PVC is your handle, and the line is stored under the wings. I have another short piece of PVC w/a hook stored under the tramp in order to reach up and snag the PVC. I never sail alone, so I have one for me and one for the crew.

With a little thought you could hang a ratchet block under each wing w/ lines to hoist a righting bag....or you. I've kind of wondered why one couldn't climb back up to the upper wing , hook up to the trap and lean way out. Seems to me you'd have the greatest amout of leverage...might need nads of steel to pull it off.