Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back on the AI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all from Las Vegas. I have been off the forum for a while as well as the AI. Been caught up with work and other thing and have not been able to get out much. I took a trip down to Parker AZ back in June and dusted off the AI. I had a blast again and wondered why I don't get out one it much. Well after about an hour or two sailing all on the river I remembered why. I could not get out of bed the next day. I have had lower back problems and sitting in the seat that long without a back and shoulder support just kills me. Has anyone out there know where I can get a better seat for the AI. I really want to spend more time sailing and enjoying the AI but it kills my back. By the way I got a lot of comments from people and they could not believe there eyes when I sailed off the beach. The had part (and dangerous) was tacking across the river. The power boaters don't understand right of way laws and after a few close calls I just did short tacks along the side. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Back on the AI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brakeman, have a look at Sufoos' post from last week: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12967&start=0. He has rigged up a seat from a cut-down folding beach chair. It might give you the support you need. Also, have you tried different adjustments with the standard seat? If the tensioning straps are really loose, you end up in a semi-recumbent posture, which may or may not suit your back. On the other hand, if you tighten the straps and pull the back of the seat forward, it gives more lower back support. It really helps if you can stop the seat sliding forward due to the seat pegs slipping out.

Post subject: Re: Back on the AI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chrisj,

I did not see that post. That is a great idea, I will have to play around with that. I have adjusted the straps and it helps to reposition. I do have a problem with the pegs popping out once in a while. I am planning a long trip down the Colorado and need to find a way to deal with the back issue. Thanks again

Don
Las Vegas