Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After a couple of rough days on Long Island Sound (very enjoyable) I now notice that the base of my mast has slipped out of what I guess I would call the roller furling collar about 3/8 of an inch. I can see the glue revealed where it has slipped. The roller furling drum now sits too high when the mast is inserted, and the furling line falls off the drum and gets tangled in the space beneath as the mast rotates back and forth. You have to pull the line out of the cleat and rewind it before you can furl or reef the sail.

My two questions are: (1) how to get it back in; (2) and how to secure it.

I have long clamps and could perhaps rig up a system to press it back in--assuming the roller furling drum has enough strength to ultimately support the clamps (even with a circular wooden "washer" I make to spread the load). Or I could put the mast in a vise, place a block of wood and some stiff foam against the mast bottom, and try pounding it back in?

To keep it back in, a set screw would seem to be the easiest idea--as long as it could be countersunk enough to not interfere with rotation.

Any experience with this problem?? Thanks for helping!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:07 am 
Site Admin

If the collar has slipped you can re-glue with epoxy. We do not use a set screw as to avoid a potential break point in the mast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt.

I see now that my description was a little off, and that the collar has indeed slipped up.

Re-gluing with epoxy assumes I can get the thing somehow moved clear of the area where glue should be applied, clean off the slightly opague, grayish stuff that is on there now, and then keep epoxy underneath the collar as I slide it in place again. I'll take a look at this, but if the fit is tight, I'm not sure how to keep the collar from squeegee-ing off the epoxy as it slides back into place.

I guess, if there is any taper on the mast at this low position, I would want to try to slide it up, as opposed to down.

Possibly you know the fit is not tight--so let me take a look at it later on today.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

I'm also not clear on the fit, but the process here is the same, so it should work. The area may have to be filed / cleaned of residue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Mike,
I experienced a similar problem which was fixed by my dealer using Spabond epoxy.
More info on this problem here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8017&p=52120
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11497

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stringy for the links. Just read them. OK, the fix is a fairly serious reglue job....

My furling drum is still very tight and does not at this point want to rotate. So I'm handling this temporarily with a hose clamp to keep it from riding up on the mast. I'd like to put off the larger fix for a while because we are experiencing good weather in the Northeastern US (which has not been the case always this year), and I have at the moment time to get on the water, and would rather not have the boat down for repairs at the moment. I can see from the discussions in the links you sent that I will have to glue it ultimately.

Why is the mast allowed to ride up in the socket nearly a half an inch before the spring clip arrests the movement? It doesn't seem to do that while sailing, but it doesn't make sense to me that this slack should be in the system.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mike, I'm about 4000 + miles away from my AI at the moment and i cant go check so I maybe totally wrong on this but the clips in the collar and the collar is an integral part of the crossbar which is bolted into the deck...you can raise or lower the position of the furling drum so it doesnt bear against the deck by increasing the compression on the bracing struts that support the mast receiver inside the hull. This would also (I THINK) take up the slack against the retaining clip....your effectively raising/lowering the deck relative to the mast reciever when you adjust the braces....I THINK....... :?

mikereddy wrote:
Thanks Stringy for the links. Just read them. OK, the fix is a fairly serious reglue job....

Why is the mast allowed to ride up in the socket nearly a half an inch before the spring clip arrests the movement? It doesn't seem to do that while sailing, but it doesn't make sense to me that this slack should be in the system.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
you can raise or lower the position of the furling drum so it doesnt bear against the deck

Yes. This is adjusted with the "V" brace, but if the drum has shifted... that could also make a difference.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks again for these new comments....

will look at how the deck level effects the amount of upward movement of the mast before the spring clip stops it... right now I would have to raise the deck a good 3/8's of an inch in order to lessen this play....

I'm not totally sure we are all talking about the same thing here,,, Next time I get the mast stepped, I'll snap a picture of what I'm talking about just to be really clear... It will probably be Sunday before I get a chance to do that...

again thanks for hanging in with me here :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The picture below shows the height to which I can raise my mast before the spring clip stops it's upward movement (3/8")--see white marker inserted to hold mast up right against spring clip inside.

This seems a lot. Is it correct, or at least ok? I don't know that it ever moves up this high in rough or choppy conditions. I think it just sits there. Still this much upward movement means that 3/8" of the pin below is not in it's socket on the mast.

I said it backwards above--I can use the turnbuckles in the hull to LOWER the deck and remove some of this play. Should I do this?

Maybe this is what Matt is saying in his post above, that this can be done. Is it important?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Yes, You can adjust this with the "V" brace turnbuckles. Yes its important to hold the mast down on the pin fixture in the received cup.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)