Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA rudder control noise
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm getting a annoying rubbing noise from my rudder control. Has anyone had this or tried to fix it? I have tried lightly spraying the outside with silicone spray but no good. What kind of mess am i looking at by taking it apart to lube?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:26 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's been awhile but as I recall, the Philips screw in the middle, bottom opens it up and also adjusts turning friction. The knob and lines should stay on the bottom half. Other than perhaps a washer, I think that's about it. There may be a thread locker to keep the screw from backing out easily. If so, make sure when you assemble it that you drop a little Locktite Blue in to keep it tight. Screw it in so that it turns without binding but with minimal slack.

Piece of cake! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:30 am 
Site Admin

Check to be sure the lines are not crossed where they leave the back of the housing and enter the double tube. Seems the may have been a few with the tube end fitting turned 180 degrees. Would require some disassembly. You can ask your dealer for warranty covered service on this if desired.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The noise you're hearing are the two screws on the seat which it rubs against. Matt gives great insight to fix the crossed lines which may also be a possibility.
The system should be smooth, mine was not; and Matt's help cured the problem. Those lines in the rear of the PA under the cover should be less than snug. I find the rudder system tightens after it's in the water. So snug lines out of the water will be tight after your in the kayak and on the water. It takes some adjustment, but once you get right it will stay that way.
I'm back on the water tomorrow, and will report what I've found out after my last rudder cable adjustment.

All the work done on making the adjusting has to be made off the ground, so mine is done while it's in my truck bed. It's a simple system, but everything has to be set just right to function flawlessly. Good luck, you'll be back on track ASAP. MJ.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:20 am 
Site Admin

sifisto wrote:
All the work done on making the adjusting has to be made off the ground, so mine is done while it's in my truck bed.

Tension adjustment is the job of the knob under the steering handle. The control lines attach to the knob's bolt and twist around it as you turn the knob. You should be able to do this easily while seated in the kayak... on the water. Figuring out which way to turn and how much is a process you have to just try. The lines will be loose when the knob is in its "centered" position. The lines will get tighter when the knob is turned in either direction.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RR, Silfisto and Matt

Thank you all for your help and insite. I did readjust my lines a few days ago "under the cover". I may have made them too tight. I am going to check in on the cable lines being crossed and see whats going on there. Silfisto, i know just what you meen when you talk about it getting tighter in the water.

I will let you all know what i came up with.

EZ