Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sun-dried
Have you tried the turbo fins yet. You hmay find this more than offsets the power lost by short stroking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I totally agree with the stroke problems mentioned here. I am in the process of trying differnt Hobies out, so when the funds arrive I know what will work. Last weekend we rented an Oasis for the day.
Fortunately, I also had my Tarpon along, and was able to switch into it, because the leg position was
so cramped in the oasis. I am 6' 5" with a 36" inseam and size 14 shoes. With the pedals set in the # 7 position I was still so cramped up, that the partial strokes Matt is recommending would have been very difficult. As it was the slap of the pedal shafts against the hull was both audible and visable. In the 6 position, noise went away, but so did any semblance of comfort.
I am not complaining, I knew going in that this would be an issue, thanks to roadRunner. I have yet to find a whitewater kayak that I am comfortable in, and finding shoes is never fun. I am used to not fitting well in things. So far, the PA looks like the best solution, but I haven't tried the Adventure yet. If they ever do a redesign of the other hulls, just having more felixability in seat position would make a huge difference for us tall guys. As I have found in the past with whitewater boats, there is a big difference
between what works with a 34" inseam and a 36". I just know that at this time I would really like to get a tandem to take my wife out in, but cannot consider a Hobie because of fit ( at this time I am not looking to get an inflatable, which is more adjustable.) With a standard SOT tandem, I can find a way to make my legs fit, but with Mirage drive, those options are eliminated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

notime2paddle wrote:
I just know that at this time I would really like to get a tandem to take my wife out in, but cannot consider a Hobie because of fit ( at this time I am not looking to get an inflatable, which is more adjustable.) With a standard SOT tandem, I can find a way to make my legs fit, but with Mirage drive, those options are eliminated.

G'Day notime2paddle,
I'm sorry you cannot fit into the Oasis. :(
It is a great kayak for those of average height. My wife and I have had many memorable adventures in ours! :)
You should fit into the Adventure but that only seats one. The AI with tramps has allowed others to take their wives along as long as the pair of you are within the carrying capacity.
If you can delay your purchase until the end of the month, the future of the new tandem AI should be clearer. This kayak may fit you better.
On the AI forum I note with interest that for the first time Matt Miller has not issued a denial, as in previous years but has come up with a wait and see statement:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12917
This coupled with the many videos and pics of the prototypes we have seen must mean we are closer to a release?
At least that's what I am hoping! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringy,
Thanks for the link to the new adventure tandem - hopefully it will do the trick once it comes out.
One thing that keeps me focused on Hobies is the amazing stories I hear about customer service,
even outside the warranty window if justified. I would never even consider a boat from another company
in its first year of release - too many bugs, but from all my reading of the Hobie logs here and at other sites, whatever problems do make it through production get addressed right away, no waiting for the next years release to make fixes. So I would by a PA right now funds willing, or the larger tandem when it comes out, confident that problems will be taken care of. Plus I am very impressed with Matts active involvement here and at other sites, though I always feel bad for him and RoadRunner when they post on the KFS site - but thanks for doing it anyways. Judging by the numbers of members and what they own, the Hobie bashers are a smal but caustic and loud minority there.
Thanks again
John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, I was actually set on purchasing a new oasis in a couple weeks. There is no where local to test them so I was going to buy online. I am 6'1" 300lbs and planned to take it out with my wife or son for fishing. Should I be concerned about this issue with my height? The Oasis seems to be the best option for me based on the weight capacity it has. Any other Oasis owners out there with this issue?

Thanks, Todd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Todd, welcome to the forum.

Your height and weight are not issues with this boat, but what's your inseam? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry 32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:52 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's going to be close. There are 7 pedal positions, each giving about 2" of leg adjustment. With a 30" inseam I like to run in the #6 position in the Oasis, but can also run in the #5. With a 32" inseam and a thicker middle, you would likely be in the #7 (most forward pedal position) with your leg fully extended in bare feet or aqua shoes.

Before spending the money I would find a way to get a demonstration ride, even if you have to travel a bit. Maybe you could combine it with a vacation or visit. Many of the forum members are happy to let someone try theirs out also, so there may be someone nearby who would make theirs available. If you're in the San Diego area, let me know and you can try mine out! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. I will have to find a way to test it. Other than that issue is it a good kayak to fish from? Stable? Is it functional solo as well if the front is appropriately weighted?

Thanks Todd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Todd,
Our first kayak was the Oasis which we had for about a year before I got an AI as well. I enjoyed the AI so much that I got another AI hoping my wife would enjoy using it solo. Unfortunately she didn't like being on her own and still prefers the Oasis.
To me the Oasis is probably the most versatile kayak because it's capable of doing so much. You can use it solo as well as tandem and it will carry heaps of gear. I enjoy sailing it almost as much as the AI.
It can go from this:

to this:

to this very easily with everything carried on board:
(oh alright -I just wanted an excuse to post a pic of our twin sails! Ignore the front sail but you get what I mean! :wink: )

Others have reported it makes a good fishing platform solo as you have heaps of deck space. It is a very stable kayak and with two people pedaling was the fastest kayak up to the introduction of the Adventure.
A search of the forums should give you a better idea.
Start with Roadrunners excellent review here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7970

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info! That looks like fun with two sails. I will have to find a way to test one. Thanks Todd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I may be weird but with a 34" inseam I actually prefer to pedal in position 6. The bent-leg posture feels less tiring to me than the fuller leg extension of position 7.