Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

been 10 years since we sold the 16. just bought an 18 Magnum and love it! Want to take off the wings and race with my oldest son, so here's my question. The previous owner gave me a righting system, the bag had a fat blue/white line over a shock cord and also a shorter separate black cord and two blocks (no instructions). Looks like an improved version of the Hawaiian system we had on the 16. Tied off the fat line to rear wing strut and around front to "make do", but I want to set up for with or without wings. Have found no difinitive pic's on line. I'm stumped. Please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you don't have a 1" round stainless ring, then buy two, then tie a small piece of line and attach the rings in the daggerboard shock cord hole at the front cross beam. Then tie the end without the cord to the rudder pin, thread the righting line thru the rings on each hull, then tie to the other rudder pin.

Post subject: H 18 Righting line
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tie about 12" of 1/8th or 3/16th good quality line to the rudder pins, halfway up/down, that is between the upper and lower part of the casting. Tie the blue-white bungee to that. Thread the blue-white on the outside via the first s/s ring, then in through the dolphin striker, then through the next s/s ring, back to the other rudder. May need to adjust for some tensioning. Works well.

If you plan on selling your wings, please contact me at [email protected]

Check us out at www.kanatasailing.com

Good winds.

John Lunn C A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KennyB wrote:
If you don't have a 1" round stainless ring, then buy two, then tie a small piece of line and attach the rings in the daggerboard shock cord hole at the front cross beam. Then tie the end without the cord to the rudder pin, thread the righting line thru the rings on each hull, then tie to the other rudder pin.

Thanks Kenny! A dealer told me to just route in front of the shrouds, your method keeps the tramp "clean".

Post subject: Re: H 18 Righting line
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Lunn C A wrote:
Tie about 12" of 1/8th or 3/16th good quality line to the rudder pins, halfway up/down, that is between the upper and lower part of the casting. Tie the blue-white bungee to that. Thread the blue-white on the outside via the first s/s ring, then in through the dolphin striker, then through the next s/s ring, back to the other rudder. May need to adjust for some tensioning. Works well.

If you plan on selling your wings, please contact me at [email protected]

Check us out at www.kanatasailing.com

Good winds.

John Lunn C A

AHA! There's the missing piece! I now remember that 3/16" line dead ended in the hole drilled in the aft/transom gunwhale on my 16. There are three other 18's in the storage lot at Clinton Lake and have yet to see or meet anyone and I'm not one to pull off covers to snoop.

Really like the wings, will definitely keep them. I'm assuming can't use them in a regatta? Haven't raced since '85 Mid-Eastern Championships.

p.s. Thanks John & nice "site" p.s.